Author Topic: Favorite hand-made gifts?  (Read 4425 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Favorite hand-made gifts?
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:50:37 AM »

There was a threads before Christmas asking what people were making and if people like homemade gifts. I'm wondering what homemade gifts people received that they really like.

My sister in law makes such cool stuff; i was hoping and knew i was getting some. She made beef jerky, chocolate dipped candied orange peels, rosemary lip gloss, brown sugar almond face scrub, and little white chocolate candies.
There is another candy that i think is honeycomb candy? I don't know what it is, but it tastes like honey and melts in your mouth. I love it. I ate most of the jar by myself.

BFF made me a wreath that she sneakily asked what color i would want. It isn't a Christmas wreath, it is just a wreath because i wanted one for my door and in my head buying one for myself wouldn't work. She made me a cool purple and grey wreath that will look so cool on my house. She also supervised her kids (and me) in making some supercool ornaments.

:)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

HyenaInPetticoats

Re: Favorite hand-made gifts?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:03:11 AM »

ahh honey comb, its lovely, especially when dipped in chocolate!

I'm in the UK, its one of the things you usually find by the seaside.

My grandmother makes beautiful baby clothes (knitting), she made one of my dresses when I was little, and now my cousin, who is 2 has several cute outfits.

TylerBelle

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
Partially hand-made here :). One year from my aunt I received a sky-blue colored bath towel that she had modified for me. She'd sewn in elastic along one side of it and put velcro closures on the ends and even embroidered my first initial on the side of it. I loved wrapping around myself after getting out of the shower. The following year or two, my aunt asked my mom what I would like for Christmas and she told her how I really enjoyed that towel (I used it until it began to literally fall apart).

She did give me a towel, but no modifications had been done to it, it was just the towel itself. I didn't ask or complain to my aunt as to why, I just let it be. I like towels, anyhoo, so yay! Though there was something different about this melon-colored towel, as it was quite large in size, the biggest I'd ever seen. I didn't know how much until I took it with me to my church's summer ladies' retreat. We stayed at a lake house and after swimming one afternoon, we placed our towels over the railing to air out. I noticed that my big bath towel dwarfed all their multi-colored beach towels. I still have it, keeping it only for swimming.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

CakeBeret

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
My niece (age 11) made cute cupcake-shaped pincushions. Other than that, I'm the only one who does homemade gifts. I made gourmet chocolate-dipped pretzel rods.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Amava

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
My mother-in-law's chocolate cake!!!  :D Yummmmmmmmmm

2doglady

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
My Niece and her boyfriend made me Rosemary infused Olive Oil.  Its lovely.
Typical symptoms of stress are: eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast.

Are they kidding? Add wine and that is my idea of a perfect day.

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:28 PM »
I got some homemade BBQ rubs, lavendar bath salts, and a bag of pepperminty popcorn from one of my friends this year. So far, I've only had the popcorn, but the bath salts are calling my name for tonight.

I'm not a very crafty person myself, so I haven't done hand-made gifts before. I think the closest I've come was sending over a tray of homemade cookies to neighbors or work.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »
I made an infinity scarf for a friend--I think that was her favorite handmade gift.

But generally, I'm not much into handmade stuff.
I only made this because I wanted an infinity scarf that wasn't as generous (therefore not as poofy) as the ones I saw in the stores. And I didn't much like the fabrics I saw them in.

heartmug

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 01:28:18 PM »
Sort of hand-made:

Friend "Dee" and I were out shopping.  I found bedroom curtains for my 2 windows on clearance that I adored, but even on clearance I could not afford them at that time (still had Christmas presents to buy - that is why we were on this shopping trip) and they needed to be hemmed.  I do not own a sewing machine.  When I delivered a basket of homemade muffins to her on Christmas Eve, she presented me with the curtains that she had hemmed.  Love her!
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
Well, there are a couple of members of my family that would go a long way for a pair of my hand-knit, custom fitted socks!
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

CakeEater

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 01:26:52 AM »
I received some home-made jams and mint jelly. They were my only home-made gift this year. Pretty yummy!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
I made an infinity scarf for a friend--I think that was her favorite handmade gift.

But generally, I'm not much into handmade stuff.
I only made this because I wanted an infinity scarf that wasn't as generous (therefore not as poofy) as the ones I saw in the stores. And I didn't much like the fabrics I saw them in.

My Aunt made me an infinity scarf for my birthday last year. I didn't know what it was and tried putting it on as a tube top. :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

StoutGirl

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »
My favorite handmade gift was given to me a couple of years ago.  My uncle welded vehicle stick shift pieces to a metal bar with holes in it so it could be mounted to the wall as a coat rack.  Though the gift was meant for my entire immediate family, I ended up with it and its the best way to hang up my many scarves.

I've also done some handmade gifts over the years for my immediate family, such as pjs and blankets.  This year, I didn't do much due to lack of time, but I made something semihandmade for my Mom.  I took a small picture frame, removed the glass, and stuck in a couple of layers of fleece and a final layer of velour.  I then stuck a pearl head pin in it so that she could put it on the kitchen counter and have a safe place to hang her wedding ring while she washes dishes or does other kitchen work.  I give credit to Pinterest for the idea.  She really loved it and is thinking about giving some to her friends next Christmas.  I even use it.  Something so simple, but very useful!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
This wasn't a Holiday gift but it was neat.

Back in September, SIL and her DH attended her 50th High School reunion.  They stayed with us the night before and the night after.  The visit went very well. 

Shortly after they returned home we received a TYC with two rather intricately knitted bookmarks enclosed.

That was a sweet thing for SIL to send.     

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
Not the gift itself, but a gift box made from a greeting card. I really need to find a pattern for this.