Author Topic: iPad case suggestions? Update  (Read 1194 times)

RubyCat

iPad case suggestions? Update
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »
I got an iPad for Christmas. I need to find a cover/case for it and I'm feeling stuck. It feels so vulnerable without a case. I want something to keep it safe but have read that some cases are really heavy or bulky. I'm hoping to find something that is not too heavy or bulky that will also be more comfortable to hold and position it as I read & type. I'm also wondering about the pros and cons of a built in screen protector.  I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:09:26 AM by RubyCat »

momtwosix

Re: iPad case suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:38:42 AM »
We bought the otterbox case for ds's ipad. It was about $90 which is cheaper that replacing the ipad. It will protect the ipad if it is dropped. It comes with a built in screen protector. He is able to carry it and use his apps without any problem.
mom to 6 and 3 in heaven

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »
I have a Kensington keyboard case. I love it. The keyboard holds a charge forever and it covers the screen fully.
Words mean things.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »

buvezdevin

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
I found the selection and reviews on Amazon to be very helpful in identifying likely options, price points and what would work best for my preferences.  You may want to look at items and reviews there whether or not purchasing through Amazon, just to get ideas.

I first bought aYoobao leather case through Amazon, which I loved, but after just over a year the leather had stretched a bit and it was no longer a good snug fit.  I just bought a Coach iPad case at an outlet for $23 which was great compared to the original MSRP of $128.  Just mentioning, because I have seen a lot of higher end cases at various discount shops.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
Big Lots has some simple ones for under $12 - if there is a Big Lots near you.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Lynnv

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »
I have a case by Speck that I picked up at right after I got the Pad.  It isn't as hefty as the keyboard cases or the Otterbox.  And it slides right into the iPad sleeve in my purse.  I also use a screen protector-though I couldn't tell you which one at this point. 

The Case
http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-Fitfolio-Case-SPK-A1661/dp/B0093W9AWU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357531894&sr=8-3&keywords=ipad+cases+speck

The Purse
http://www.amazon.com/Ogio-Brooklyn-Womens-Purse-Medium/dp/B0076D0MAC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357532214&sr=1-2&keywords=ipad+purse+ogio

I have been very pleased with the case, the screen protector and the purse with the padded tablet sleeve as a great combo to keep everything well protected. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

SheltieMom

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »
I've had very good results with merchandise from this site:
http://www.pexagontech.com/
The only problem I've ever had was fixed promptly and with no trouble (a flash drive that didn't work was replaced immediately. They paid for return shipping, and replaced it within a couple of days.) I've even washed and dried a flash drive, and it still works perfectly.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

half_dollars

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 04:05:53 AM »
We just bought 3 cases from Portenzo.com for our iPad and 2 mini's.  I wanted something more substantial because I knew I'd drop mine.  And I have.  Multiple times.  And no issues with the iPad.  They have multiple designs to chose from, and multiple options for each design.

RubyCat

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 07:08:50 AM »
Thank you for all the suggestions. I ended up ordering an otterbox from amazon. It has a built in screen protector, which makes me feel more secure about using it. This screen protector does, however take away some of the sharpness of the display. Right now, that is an acceptable trade off. I've never spilt a drink on any device I've ever used, but for some reason I always worry about it. Other than that, I absolutely love the case. It is light enough and much easier to hold than a "naked" iPad.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: iPad case suggestions? Update
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
Our iPad has been spilled on, dropped, jumped on (!) (by Babybartfast, who is all of 30 pounds, and had never specifically been told not to but really should have known better), used while eating sticky foods (which she also got in trouble for), and once was picked up by the dog.  We don't use a case and I've been really impressed at how sturdy it actually is.  We do have a case for it, but I prefer the feel of just the iPad itself without that extra thickness.  So far the iPad only has one dent in one corner and it had that when we got it (secondhand).

RubyCat

Re: iPad case suggestions? Update
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:17:51 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. As sleek and beautiful as the iPad is, I expected it to be more fragile. I guess I can (and should) relax a little :)  Plus, with that knowledge, if I come across a different case that I like better, I will feel more comfortable giving it a try.