Author Topic: Spirituality of houseguests  (Read 5841 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Spirituality of houseguests
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »
Thank you so much for supporting this young man. It sounds like he really needs it.

Ditto on this - DP and I always say that when we get rich, we're going to build a house where displaced GLBT kids (who are often kicked out like this young man was, albeit for different reasons) and give them the family they didn't get from birth. It is a real mitzvah that you are performing in that young man's life - may you see its blessings in your life. :-)

Firecat

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »

Yesterday I asked him to come upstairs because I wanted to ask him if he had any laundry that needed washing. He thought I was calling him to tell him he was kicked out.  :-\

Oh, that poor kid.

You're doing a great thing for him.

POD. I'm so glad that you are giving him some safety and stability.

peach2play

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
Thank you for doing this for him.  Sometimes it is the love of one family or person that can be the difference between jail or a normalish life.  Go you!

nuit93

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »
As someone who's beliefs are a "distant cousin" of neoPaganism, I think it's awesome that you're willing to be flexible for Kyle.  It sounds like he's been through a lot already and being able to worship as he feels is best will be a huge help in helping him get through what he's going through.

katycoo

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2013, 05:17:20 PM »
The possibility of an altar does make it more interesting and I think that you get into issues of a longer house guest and what privileges they have to personalize their room.  Hypothetically, if your guest hung a poster for a rock band you disapproved of, or displayed a piece of art you found distasteful, would you ask them to put it away?   Food for though.

Not even remotely the same things IMO.  Art or music is a matter of personal taste.  If the art was visually offensive (as opposed to just ugly) I might ask it to be displayed in a manner in which I couldn't see it.

But an alter bearing gifts or symbols of a God different to my own, I'm not sure how I feel about that.  Funny to the least.  It doesn't sit well and would warrant a chat with the houseguest as to what the alter represented.

Shea

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
Chiming in late here, but I think you've got a really good attitude towards this situation, and you're doing a great thing for Kyle.

While I think that it may be technically okay for a hypothetical host to prohibit guests from engaging in any religious practice not of the host's religion, I can't personally agree with that stance. I think a good rule of thumb is that as long as it doesn't disturb other people in the house, the host shouldn't prohibit it. So, saying "no burning candles/incense/herbs in the house" is entirely fair, saying "no praying to any god(s) other than the god(s) of the hosts" is overstepping.

I think the alter is a grey area. It wouldn't bother me (but I'm an atheist and pretty laid-back about other peoples' religions as long as they don't try to involve me), but I can understand how having a Pagan alter in the house might be problematic for a Christian (or observant Muslim or Jewish) family. If you can talk to Kyle once he's settled in a bit and come to a compromise on the issues of his religious observance (i.e., he only takes out his sacred objects and sets up his alter when he's praying), I think this whole religion issue will be settled just fine. Kyle sounds like a nice young man, and the OP and her DH seem like they're open and willing to accommodate his religious observance. 

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »
Chiming in late here, but I think you've got a really good attitude towards this situation, and you're doing a great thing for Kyle.

While I think that it may be technically okay for a hypothetical host to prohibit guests from engaging in any religious practice not of the host's religion, I can't personally agree with that stance. I think a good rule of thumb is that as long as it doesn't disturb other people in the house, the host shouldn't prohibit it. So, saying "no burning candles/incense/herbs in the house" is entirely fair, saying "no praying to any god(s) other than the god(s) of the hosts" is overstepping.

I think the alter is a grey area. It wouldn't bother me (but I'm an atheist and pretty laid-back about other peoples' religions as long as they don't try to involve me), but I can understand how having a Pagan alter in the house might be problematic for a Christian (or observant Muslim or Jewish) family. If you can talk to Kyle once he's settled in a bit and come to a compromise on the issues of his religious observance (i.e., he only takes out his sacred objects and sets up his alter when he's praying), I think this whole religion issue will be settled just fine. Kyle sounds like a nice young man, and the OP and her DH seem like they're open and willing to accommodate his religious observance.

I fully agree.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.