Author Topic: What is FB "blocking"?  (Read 2126 times)

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
What is FB "blocking"?
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
OK, I admit it, I am woefully FB illiterate. Sad, actually.

So, what is blocking? Example: if i were friends with Sue, but wanted to block her, does that mean she can't post to my wall? Or read my wall? How would she know she is blocked? Is there a setting that would allow her to post to my wall, but not to see what my other friends write back?

Thanks! :)
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

diesel_darlin

Re: What is FB "blocking"?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
If you "block" Sue, you are invisible to her on Facebook. Sue cannot see your posts, your wall, even your name. You basically no longer exist to Sue.

MrTango

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »
If you want to remain friends with her, but not see her wall posts, you can "Unsubscribe" from her.  If you want her to be prevented from seeing your posts and prohibit her from writing on your wall, you can put her in your "restricted" group.

Blocking her means you are no longer friends at all, and neither of you are able to see each other on FB.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »

I would describe blocking as the face book equivalent of the cut direct - you prevent the other person from having any contact with you, or ability to see if you're even on Facebook.

De-friending refers to removing someone from your friend list, so that they can no longer see your friends-only postings, but can still see your presence on Facebook, and content that is visible to anyone, or possibly friends of friends.

Under the privacy settings, you can tailor the amount of access that someone has to what you post, or what you see of their postings. So you can remain friends with someone (so they don't get offended) but seriously scale back what they see of you.

With the privacy settings, people could figure out that they are on restricted access by comparing with someone else's access to your page.

For the last one - I'm not sure if you can set it so they can read your posting, but not what your friends post in response. It would make for very strange conversations, if she can see some of the responses, but not all. Your friends might be able to change their privacy settings so she can't see them, though - you'd have to check the privacy options.

As an aside - the original Facebook settings were for Friend, Un-Friend and Block. The whole filtering and setting different levels for different people came later, for cases where de-friending was too harsh, but you didn't, say, want your mother to see you posting about that awesome party last weekend, or to keep boundaries on people who tend to start flame-wars or insult people.

LilacRosey

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:21:37 AM »
If you block someone you dont see there newsfeed anymore. Very helpful., LilacRosey

MrTango

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:38 AM »
If you block someone you dont see there newsfeed anymore. Very helpful., LilacRosey

There are ways to avoid seeing someone's newsfeed without blocking.  Blocking is a cut-direct as far as FB is concerned: from the blocker's perspective, the person blocked no longer exists on FB except as a name in your blocked-persons list.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »
One odd thing that can happen is, when you read a thread with lots of comments, and the blocked person is among them, you won't see his comment at all. So the next few comments won't make any sense.

Likewise for him--you may make a comment, and then someone might reply to you, but the person you have blocked will see only the reply.

(That might clue him in that you've blocked him, bcs if someone says, "I agree with you, happygrrl," he'll see that but won't be able to see any trace of your original comment. That's happened a time or two w/ my Rude Political Uncle, whom I've blocked on Facebook.)

kdbug

• The only people that I need in my life are the ones that have shown me that they need me in theirs.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
I have a related question-

I have a friend that is constantly tagging me in pictures. None of them are bad, it's just funny things, or puppies, or whatever. The problem is that she does this 5-10 times a day and they are flooding my page. I have to go in and remove the tags because I don't want them showing up on my page. I don't know if she realises that I can see the pictures in my feed and that I don't have to be tagged to enjoy them.

Is there a way to block her from being able to tag me in things, but to continue to allow her access to post on my status and my page?

Thanks, and I don't mean to "steal" this thread. If I need to start a new one I will.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »

I have a friend that is constantly tagging me in pictures. None of them are bad, it's just funny things, or puppies, or whatever. The problem is that she does this 5-10 times a day and they are flooding my page. I have to go in and remove the tags because I don't want them showing up on my page. I don't know if she realises that I can see the pictures in my feed and that I don't have to be tagged to enjoy them.

Is there a way to block her from being able to tag me in things, but to continue to allow her access to post on my status and my page?

Thanks, and I don't mean to "steal" this thread. If I need to start a new one I will.

Yes, there should be something in your privacy settings.   

ETA: There's a "Timeline and Tagging" section where you can change tagging permissions
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:10:42 PM by Harriet Jones »

kdbug

• The only people that I need in my life are the ones that have shown me that they need me in theirs.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:10 PM »
Thanks!

CaptainObvious

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »

You can set it so that you have to approve any tags.