Author Topic: *when* are you coming over to my desk?  (Read 5219 times)

lowspark

Re: *when* are you coming over to my desk?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 05:01:23 PM »
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'm in a very similar situation. All the work I do is initiated by someone else's request. So if they want it fast, they have to be available to answer questions. If I need further clarification on something and can't proceed until I get it, it's in their best interest to be there to answer. And I've even had people tell me they'll be in a meeting and to come get them out if I need something. So I figure, it's their project, and they know the urgency of it.

If I ask them to come over and they feel that something else takes precedence (even answering emails) then, well, that's their call. In my case I've pretty much always got something else to work on if they can't come right away so I just divert my attention as needed.

Maybe it's the particular dynamic of the office I work in. Because everyone is so crazy busy, and they all know that I am too, no one ever bats an eye that I've moved on. I just get back to whatever it is I was asking about when they do come over, sometimes taking a few seconds to refresh in my mind what the question was. Or if I'm away from my desk, they just come back or IM me to say they came by or whatever.

Are you worried about a backlash if you aren't at your desk when they arrive, even if it's been more than just a couple of minutes?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 05:22:23 PM »
I'm not really worried about the backlash so much as about not accomplishing things in the fastest manner for the sake of the people who follow me in the process.
   And, every half-hour of delay in the early part of the process can really hit us all in the end.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
Just had this occur with my daughter...I think some of this is P.A.ness on their part.  They know they should do it, but don't feel like it. Also they may be doing something else they "need" to finish up.
I wanted my daughter to put away some ornaments back into a box and I wanted to show her which ones.  I said "Could you come here?"
and she said "Yes."  So I stood there waiting for her to come into the other room.  And stood.  I remembered this thread and said "Now?"
and I got the "i am trying to finish something" (which would have been better if she just said that in the first place, but no).

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
funny how often work and home are a lot alike, no?

Jocelyn

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
I think this is a prime example of 'never attribute to malice that which is equally well explained by stupidity'. It's possible that your request just doesn't create an impression of urgency in your listeners. So that rather than ignoring you, or rudely making you wait, they just don't realize that 20 minutes is too long from your pov. Being more specific in your request : I need to get your input on this, but I'd also like to go to lunch within the next half-hour. Can we meet right now, or should I go to lunch first?'  might get you the results you desire.
Personally, there have been days when I was out of the office, and had not had a chance to see if there were any urgent emails waiting for me, so that flipping through my email seems like both a priority and a quick task...but then, I start answering and lose track of time.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »
LOL! this hits home. One of my big complaints. Although on the different side, not me asking to with meet someone, someone else (big director (BD)) asking to meet with me.

I got into work Friday morning and had an e-mail from BD asking me to work on a project. She said that she will come to my office in about 15 minutes. I e-mailed back and said "No problem. I'm here." This was 7 a.m.

I put aside other projects, called up her files, prepped with my questions, etc. . . . BD was a no-show.

10:25 BD called me and said that she had a 10:30 meeting and could we get together at 11:00. I said "No problem, I'm here."

11:30 -- my lunchtime. I went to lunch, even though I had trepidations about BD showing up as soon as I left the office.

BD didn't show up until after 2:00.

Yes, the people that keep you waiting until it's convenient for them is a huge problem area in my book.

Toots -- I agree with the other posters, set a time for them to come to your desk. I think that a phone call instead of e-mail would be better. With voice-to-voice you can insist on the need/reason for prompt timing . . . "In order to push this project forward to the next level in a timely manner, I really need your approval as soon as possible. When is the earliest time that you can meet with me?"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
I think this is a prime example of 'never attribute to malice that which is equally well explained by stupidity'. It's possible that your request just doesn't create an impression of urgency in your listeners. So that rather than ignoring you, or rudely making you wait, they just don't realize that 20 minutes is too long from your pov. Being more specific in your request : I need to get your input on this, but I'd also like to go to lunch within the next half-hour. Can we meet right now, or should I go to lunch first?'  might get you the results you desire.
Personally, there have been days when I was out of the office, and had not had a chance to see if there were any urgent emails waiting for me, so that flipping through my email seems like both a priority and a quick task...but then, I start answering and lose track of time.

Oh, I didn't attribute this to malice! I was annoyed (esp. the time I was delaying "fueling the machine"), but I didn't think they were being mean.

I guess if I think I actually will do something before to head over to someone's desk, I *say* so. Neither of these people did.

It was a lesson to me in differing expectations.

(Oh, and if I want them right away, I *do* phone them. I'm just going to need to say the word "now.")

AuntyEm

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:40 AM »
If I needed them to come to my desk, I would go over to them (or call if necessary) and ask if they had time to look at something on my screen.  I think that implies that you would like them to come over now and I think you would be able to tell from their response how quickly they would be able to do it.

If they look like they're in the middle of something, you could tell them that you could run out and get a sandwich while they finish up which would also prompt them to give you a time frame.