General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

*when* are you coming over to my desk?

<< < (2/5) > >>

oceanus:
I think when you initially ask for help you should say "Are you in the middle of something?" or "Do you have a few minutes?", and make it clear that you can't go forward.

Then the other person has the chance to say "No problem, be right there" or "Let me finish checking my emails, and I'll be over in about 10-15 minutes."

blarg314:
I agree that checking the time frame is good, and also not expecting them to come over immediately.  Assume that whatever they are currently working on is also important, and that they'll need a bit of time to come to a natural stopping point.

I know that for the kind of stuff I work on, five-ten minutes can make the difference between easily being able to pick up where I left off, or spending fifteen minutes or more getting back to that point.

perpetua:
It's a bit snowflakey to expect other people to immediately drop what they're doing to attend to you. Perhaps "I need some assistance with (x) task - when might you be able to stop by?" would be a more polite way to handle it.

YummyMummy66:
Is there a reason they must come to your desk?

You say looking at your computer screen.  Could you not get up, go to said person't desk and/or office and ask about the help and load the info. onto their computer?

You are asking for help, not them.  If it were me, I would be going to them for the help, not expecting them to drop everything and come to me at that very second.   You have a job to do as they do also. 

I agree with others that when you ask for help, you might want to also ask when they will be able to stop by.  This way, if you are not able to go to them, you can work on other things as well until they are able to come to your desk.

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: YummyMummy66 on January 07, 2013, 07:54:11 AM ---Is there a reason they must come to your desk?

You say looking at your computer screen.  Could you not get up, go to said person't desk and/or office and ask about the help and load the info. onto their computer?

You are asking for help, not them.  If it were me, I would be going to them for the help, not expecting them to drop everything and come to me at that very second.   You have a job to do as they do also. 

I agree with others that when you ask for help, you might want to also ask when they will be able to stop by.  This way, if you are not able to go to them, you can work on other things as well until they are able to come to your desk.

--- End quote ---

I dont think there is anything wrong with them going to Toots desk.

Toots didn't say she was needing help.  She said she is doing a activity for them and needs their input.  I'm imaging some type of design thing and she wants them to review and approve before finalizing.  It's their project, she is just completing a portion for them.  Many people at my office use specialty software that is not loaded on everyone's computer so it really wouldn't work to take to someone else.  Or the time it would take to load up fir someone would be unreasonable.  I'm thinking of CAD drawings.

I think just clarifying if they are available now is fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version