General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

The Christmas party 'jab' (VERY long)

<< < (2/12) > >>

oceanus:
Here’s my take:

Re: candy dish, Sharon could have just said “Sure Katie, help yourself.”

Katie’s party comment was uncalled for and made her look goofy, imo.  As far as the “looooong conversation” comment, could be that Sharon is known as a “talker” among those at the office she associates with.  Could be that Katie has observed it, or some people have commented.

What I don’t like is that Katie obviously went to the Office Manager and talked about Sharon – most likely leaving out the party incident.  (This is speculation) but it was probably something along the lines of “I try to be nice to Sharon, but she's barely civil.  I don't know what her problem is.”  Not true, but that's beside the point.

I think Sharon should ease up a bit.  Try being a little more friendly to Katie, but keep it brief and polite.  Don’t give others a chance to complain about the tension – it gets old.

Roe:

--- Quote from: Audrey Quest on January 06, 2013, 05:57:04 PM ---I'm not sure but Sharon might be one of those PA people who does things under the radar until the other person just can't take it anymore and when they blow, the PA person acts all clueless, like "where did that come from."

--- End quote ---

Yep.  And then Sharon shrugs it off (as if she's innocent in this) and the party continues.  Sharon seems like a very PA person.  She started it so the fault lies with her, IMO. 

oceanus:

--- Quote from: Roe on January 06, 2013, 06:31:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Audrey Quest on January 06, 2013, 05:57:04 PM ---I'm not sure but Sharon might be one of those PA people who does things under the radar until the other person just can't take it anymore and when they blow, the PA person acts all clueless, like "where did that come from."

--- End quote ---

Yep.  And then Sharon shrugs it off (as if she's innocent in this) and the party continues.  Sharon seems like a very PA person.  She started it so the fault lies with her, IMO.

--- End quote ---

I think Sharon was fine by not putting a damper on the party by explaining to others at the table what was behind Katie's snotty remarks.

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: oceanus on January 06, 2013, 06:39:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Roe on January 06, 2013, 06:31:29 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I don't think Sharon should have put a damper on the party by explaining to others at the table what was behind Katie's snotty remarks.

--- End quote ---

Wait where did it say that Sharon discussed this with anyone else besides OP?  ???  Please bold it if I'm missing something, otherwise that's not fair to Sharon

Sharon was definitely PA with her “Sure, and hello, by the way.”, however, Katie didn't have to make the comment she did at the party.  Sharon is in no way obligated to be warm and fuzzy with Katie or anyone at the office.  Saying thank you when someone compliments you is what you're supposed to do at a minimum. It seems to me that Katie continued the PA behavior and Sharon has throttled back to neutral.

oceanus:
PastryGoddess
Whoa.   :)  I didn't say that Sharon discussed it - she didn't.   My post was in response the member saying "Sharon shrugged and acted all innocent".

(I've edited my previous post to make it clearer.)

i.e., I think shrugging, not responding, and continuing with the party was fine.  What else could/should she have done? ???

To me, it seemed like Katie was saying "You put ME on the spot in front of someone, so I'll fix YOU and I'll do it in front of a table full of people.  So take THAT!"  Seems to me the one acting innocent was Katie (when she spole with the Office Manager, although exactly what she said is unknown.)

However, as I said, instead of refusing to deal with Katie, I feel Sharon needs to ease up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version