Author Topic: There Are Times When I Despair of Freecycle  (Read 9179 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
There Are Times When I Despair of Freecycle
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:01:35 PM »
I posted something computer related (recovery disk for a particular make & model - operating system disk ONLY).

First person wants everything I have without any indication that they will be able to use the thing when they get it.  Just because it is FREE and it is computer related (as nearly as I can tell).

The good news is that if nobody on Freecycle lets me know that they have the correct computer to use it - there is a Goodwill computer store where I can donate it that probably will be able to use it (or bundle it with the correct hardware).

They were polite - but without the correct hardware and having the activation code - the recovery disk is a Frisbee or something shiny to tie in a tree to scare birds away. 

I really don't want to see it in a landfill because it gets to their house and their computer can't use it.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amara

Re: There Are Times When I Despair of Freecycle
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
Just because it is FREE

It is a common reaction ...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »
Just because it is FREE

Ah yes. The old "if its free I must have it, even though I already have 10 similar items which I already don't use" 

I know I've said this before, but I used to work for a big pharma company, and had a friend who worked in the marketing dept. Periodically, they would clean out their "stash" of freebies they gave to doctors, pens, pads, and other doodads with various drug advertising on it.  She once told me it was like a feeding frenzy whenever anything new was added, and that she was convinced if you gave away poo in a bag, as long as it was free, people would take it.

Penguin_ar

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »
On our freecycle, we had a problem with people setting up auto responder programs- ie as soon as you'd post anything with OFFERED in the title, their computer would send a reply saying "I'd love the item, could really use it, please.  I can pick up!" or whatever.  Some people are hoarders, some will want it to re-sell.

Otterpop

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »
Just because it is FREE

Ah yes. The old "if its free I must have it, even though I already have 10 similar items which I already don't use" 

I know I've said this before, but I used to work for a big pharma company, and had a friend who worked in the marketing dept. Periodically, they would clean out their "stash" of freebies they gave to doctors, pens, pads, and other doodads with various drug advertising on it.  She once told me it was like a feeding frenzy whenever anything new was added, and that she was convinced if you gave away poo in a bag, as long as it was free, people would take it.

Herbivore poo, yes!  Good fertilizer.   ;D

magicdomino

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »
On our freecycle, we had a problem with people setting up auto responder programs- ie as soon as you'd post anything with OFFERED in the title, their computer would send a reply saying "I'd love the item, could really use it, please.  I can pick up!" or whatever.  Some people are hoarders, some will want it to re-sell.

I think I've seen that after advertising on Craigslist's free section.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:09:41 AM »
I reposted the items with a request to READ the post and send me the information requested so that I can tell if the item will work with their computer.

If I don't get any requests with the information to make sure it will work for them, they aren't getting it.

I'll donate it to the Goodwill computer store or something.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

FOSTER

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
My understanding of Freecycle is you're passing along still-useable items that you don't need/want to people who might need/want them.

I don't know why they're supposed to qualify for them? I don't get that requirement.

I think it's enough that someone wants to take your unwanted stuff off your hands. If it's that precious to you, maybe you shouldn't attempt to give it away?

Otherwise, I'm just confused.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »
I think that when 4 or 5 people might say they want the one iyem yoi probablt yry to narrow down who can really use it.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 01:34:25 PM »
My understanding of Freecycle is you're passing along still-useable items that you don't need/want to people who might need/want them.

I don't know why they're supposed to qualify for them? I don't get that requirement.

I think it's enough that someone wants to take your unwanted stuff off your hands. If it's that precious to you, maybe you shouldn't attempt to give it away?

This is kind of what I was thinking, too. Though, it sounds like the OP has a viable second option, the Goodwill store, where s/he is fairly certain the item will actually be used. Maybe it would be best to just take it straight there?
~Lynn2000

Amara

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »

I won't speak for the OP or anyone else but for me it comes down not wanting to give "free inventory" to eBay and Amazon sellers. So, yes, I do pick and choose my recipients.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
I'd personally be happy to give stuff to amazon or ebay sellers. I figure, I don't want it.
If someone else wants to "harvest" my stuff (sort of like taking fish out of the public waters--they went to the work, they deserve the profit!) and sell it, it will still end up in the hands of someone who really *wants* it.

And most of all, it's out of my house.

Dorrie78

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »

Welcome to E-Hell! And I agree with you. I don't understand what the problem is here. If I'm putting something on Freecycle, I want it out of my house and I don't really care what happens to it. Just pick it up when we agreed and I'm done! And if you take something and it doesn't work because you didn't read the description, not my problem. You got it for free! (all yous are generic, of course).

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 01:55:18 PM »
For me, the problem with people who respond asking for just any old thing whether they actually can use it or not just because it's FREE!!!! is that a lot of time those are the people who don't show up to claim the item. So then it's sitting in my house even longer while I wait for someone else to ask for it!

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 01:56:35 PM »
I guess I'm having a problem wrapping my head around this for 2 reasons.

1) My local Freecycle group specifically prohibits people from saying "you need to prove to me that you deserve this!" and I didn't really realize that wasn't the standard for other groups.
2) If the OP wanted the disk out of her house, why didn't she just donate it? That way she'd know it wasn't going to a reseller and could have saved herself the frustration of people responding without adequately justifying their "need" of it.
Utah