General Etiquette > Life...in general

There Are Times When I Despair of Freecycle

(1/9) > >>

VorFemme:
I posted something computer related (recovery disk for a particular make & model - operating system disk ONLY).

First person wants everything I have without any indication that they will be able to use the thing when they get it.  Just because it is FREE and it is computer related (as nearly as I can tell).

The good news is that if nobody on Freecycle lets me know that they have the correct computer to use it - there is a Goodwill computer store where I can donate it that probably will be able to use it (or bundle it with the correct hardware).

They were polite - but without the correct hardware and having the activation code - the recovery disk is a Frisbee or something shiny to tie in a tree to scare birds away. 

I really don't want to see it in a landfill because it gets to their house and their computer can't use it.

Amara:
Just because it is FREE

It is a common reaction ...

siamesecat2965:

--- Quote from: Amara on January 06, 2013, 11:22:46 PM ---Just because it is FREE

--- End quote ---

Ah yes. The old "if its free I must have it, even though I already have 10 similar items which I already don't use" 

I know I've said this before, but I used to work for a big pharma company, and had a friend who worked in the marketing dept. Periodically, they would clean out their "stash" of freebies they gave to doctors, pens, pads, and other doodads with various drug advertising on it.  She once told me it was like a feeding frenzy whenever anything new was added, and that she was convinced if you gave away poo in a bag, as long as it was free, people would take it.

Penguin_ar:
On our freecycle, we had a problem with people setting up auto responder programs- ie as soon as you'd post anything with OFFERED in the title, their computer would send a reply saying "I'd love the item, could really use it, please.  I can pick up!" or whatever.  Some people are hoarders, some will want it to re-sell.

Otterpop:

--- Quote from: siamesecat2965 on January 07, 2013, 09:09:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: Amara on January 06, 2013, 11:22:46 PM ---Just because it is FREE

--- End quote ---

Ah yes. The old "if its free I must have it, even though I already have 10 similar items which I already don't use" 

I know I've said this before, but I used to work for a big pharma company, and had a friend who worked in the marketing dept. Periodically, they would clean out their "stash" of freebies they gave to doctors, pens, pads, and other doodads with various drug advertising on it.  She once told me it was like a feeding frenzy whenever anything new was added, and that she was convinced if you gave away poo in a bag, as long as it was free, people would take it.

--- End quote ---

Herbivore poo, yes!  Good fertilizer.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version