General Etiquette > Life...in general

There Are Times When I Despair of Freecycle

<< < (9/9)

Editeer:

--- Quote from: siamesecat2965 on January 07, 2013, 09:09:01 AM ---
 she was convinced if you gave away poo in a bag, as long as it was free, people would take it.

--- End quote ---

I took poo in a bag from Freecycle!   ;D

It was rabbit poo (mixed with used litter), and I used it for compost and fertilizer in my garden. The woman who gave it to me fostered rabbits and she had bags and bags of the stuff. I finally had to stop taking it because it was accumulating too fast.  I've also gotten a truckload or two of horse manure from a co-worker with a horse.

I haven't used freecycle in several years, but when I did, I gave away stuff that I couldn't give to a thrift store--not because it was bad, but because it just wasn't the kind of thing a store would take. The previous owners of our house had decorated the yard with shards of pottery, going for a sort of Etruscan-archeological-site look. I gave them away (and had several takers). Half-full cans of paint. A badminton net without rackets. That sort of stuff.

Slartibartfast:
I've had good luck with "Please specify a good day and time you would be able to come pick this up.  Emails without a specific day and time will be deleted."  I don't want the extra step of

"I can get it anytime!"
"How's Thursday at 2?"
"I could, but it's not convenient - can I do noon instead?"
"Fine, sure"

Much easier to just say

"I can pick up Thursday at noon, if that works for you."
"Cool, here's my address!"

VorFemme:
Two more requests today for something that was posted as Taken, Pending Pick Up two days ago.

At least these people had read my post - there was mention of a loading ramp, a trailer, and "help" as well as picking it up TODAY.

Too bad it will be picked up by two people with a trailer & a loading ramp this evening - the first request that I got back stating that they wanted a "big, heavy thing with a flat tire" and could handle picking it up. 

Requesting something days (or even weeks) after it has been posted as "taken" makes me wonder about people's literacy AND their grasp on reality.

floridamom:

--- Quote from: VorFemme on March 03, 2013, 11:00:41 AM ---Edited to add - I swear I am going to start putting a "secret question" in my Freecycle posts that has to be answered to prove that a real person hit send and not an auto-responder bot.  I'm tired of "I'd like this!" or "I need this!" posts followed up by requests for delivery or telling me that they don't have a vehicle large enough to pick it up.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had five or six requests show up yesterday in about five minutes - so apparently the item got approved quickly.  I posted it as taken, pending pickup.  I got three more requests after I posted that.....

I have also gotten tired of auto-responders who reply back asking for delivery of a large item or tell me that I live too far away when they responded to my post, asking for the item.

My post has "Please Read" in the title and I send out a generic email to all responders, pointing out if the item is very large, very heavy, and delivery is NOT possible - I get some people removing themselves from the "can I have it" list because they didn't "realize" that it was that big (drafting table, exercise bike, desk, riding lawnmower :-\  ) or that they didn't have a trailer, pick up, mini-van, car large enough, etc. after all.   ::)

I get other people assuming that they are going to get it without noticing that there has been a "Taken, Pending Pick Up" notice sent to the list and that I haven't sent them directions to the house & a phone number to arrange pickup - or anything resembling the phrasing "I live here, this is the phone number, call me to set up when you can pick it up".

It's like nobody else wants that riding lawnmower, desk, drafting table, exercise bike, etc. but THEM.

Then there are the really special people who will ask me a week after I've posted it as having been picked up with a sob  :'( story about their family needing that item (six year old computer, trombone, knitting machine, sewing machine, stack of books, etc.) because they are house bound, home schooled,  :'( etc.  Nope - it's been posted as gone, it is gone, I'm not buying one to give to them.  So sorry.......maybe not really..... ::) or even   >:( "I don't think so!"

This morning, after the Taken, Pending Pickup?  Two new requests and one more person asking when they could pick it up because the "do you HAVE a pickup, two people, and a ramp - this thing is HEAVY?" for "you can have it".  When everyone got that because of the autoresponders with the generic "can I have your item" instead of "I'd like to have your *big, heavy thing* and I have a ramp, a trailer, and two brothers to help me load it any time this weekend".  (Guess who got it? - the one who looked like they read the original post and KNEW what they needed in the way of equipment to pick up the stuff, that's who!)

I put in the two largest cross streets in the Houston grid that are near my house - I still get people asking me where I live so that they can decide if I live close enough to them for them to pick it up or they ask if I will deliver it to them (depends on the size of the item - and I've put in the areas that I run errands to daily or weekly - read the post)......!

Reading comprehension - demonstrate that you have it and you can have my big heavy thing in a heartbeat!

--- End quote ---

I have certain instructions in my offers and I still get people that respond w/o phone numbers.  This is what I post in my offers before I even write about the offer "Please include phone # with response.I ONLY REPLY if you provide your phone contact # so please don't keep
replying without that. Saves everyone time. Thanks."  Still! LOL  It is so frustrating.  I had an incident several years ago shortly after I moved in w/my husband.  We were downsizing two households so we were offering alot of diverse stuff. I had this one woman that kept answering to almost everything w/a story why she wanted each item.  I like to spread it to who needs it.  One time she started "yelling" at me in a email because I hadn't responded back to her emails right away.  Of course I reported her to the mods.  All of sudden I started getting emails responses for the same things I had offered with the same stories why they wanted it LOL 

VorFemme:

--- Quote from: floridamom on March 04, 2013, 02:55:56 PM ---heavily edited for brevity's sake.

"I had this one woman that kept answering to almost everything w/a story why she wanted each item.  I like to spread it to who needs it.  One time she started "yelling" at me in a email because I hadn't responded back to her emails right away.  Of course I reported her to the mods.  All of sudden I started getting emails responses for the same things I had offered with the same stories why they wanted it LOL"

--- End quote ---

Reporting someone TO the mods got the same stories coming FROM the mods?

Oh, yeah, way to find out how many sock puppets were on that Freecycle list!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version