Author Topic: S/O of Picky Eaters---Kid's Menus  (Read 1521 times)

delabela

Re: S/O of Picky Eaters---Kid's Menus
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 04:11:08 AM »
We do a lot of Thai, Chinese, Indian, etc when we eat out, and while I believe I've seen children's menus at some of these places, I don't think that we've ever ordered off them.  I make sure to order a few things that everybody likes and we share. 

There is one pub-type burger/pizza/sandwiches place we go that does have a children's menu - I like it because the portions are more what the kids will eat, and there are more side options than fries or salad (can get applesauce or fresh veggies). 

I do like kids menus for the smaller portions and smaller prices. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »
We just paid $6 for a hot dog Babybartfast refused to eat tonight  >:(  She would definitely have preferred an adult option, but the cheapest adult entree was $18 (they all came with salad, sides, etc.) and even just getting two side dishes at this particular restaurant would have been more expensive than the kids meal.  Granted, it was $6 for hot dog + milk + applesauce + German potato salad (the only ethnic food available on the kids menu at this German restaurant), but I would have much rather she had an option of sausage or wienerschnitzel or something rather than just chicken nuggets, pizza, hot dog, or mac & cheese.  Unfortunately the portions are just about right for an adult, otherwise I would have shared mine with her.

I've never heard of a German restaurant not being willing to add on a sausage or two to an adult entree or sell it separately. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
I've never seen a kid's menu in an ethnic restaurant but I have seen that kids enjoy ethnic food.

We were having lunch at a sushi place.  At a table behind us there were two young voices and two adult voices discussing a soccer game in a perfectly polite fashion. 

When we left, we noticed that the discussion was among two boys in soccer uniforms who looked about 7 years-old and the parents of one of the children.    The boys were happily tucking into sashimi and spicy tuna rolls. 

Children are individuals and probably shouldn't be pigeon-holed into a particular menu. 

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
The places where I have seen children's menus as restricted as described in the OP are restaurants where the adult food is fairly similiar (hamburgers, fries etc...) so they seem to be more like the restaurant itself.

It seems easy enough to order off the rest of the menu (appetisers or a seperate plate  for some of the parent's food) if the parent doesn't think the food is appropriate for their child.

As for those who just think the menu is inappropriate, but don't actually have kids, that's just silly and a bit judgy. It's a business decision on the part of the restaurant.

Personally, I am always happy to see macoroni and cheese on the menu as that is bulletproof 100% dinner based happiness for my 4 year old. And that makes a nice dinner for everyone. However, anyone who calls my child a fussy eater will be laughed out of my house. Just after her 4th birthday she sat at a family dinner in a restaurent for 2 hours straight and ate all of 10/11 Chinese food dishes (some exotic to evenwell travelled  me) that were served to her. The 11th she tried and then asked if I would have it as it wasn't something she liked.