Author Topic: Shampoo suggestions for a pre-teen, we need help  (Read 3013 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Shampoo suggestions for a pre-teen, we need help
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
for my DD's oily hair during the worst of her teen years, she used a "clarifying" shampoo and shampooed twice each day.

in my really-oily phase, I remember shampooing twice as well.

but she hasn't had problems w/ dandruff.

lilfox

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 12:25:40 AM »
I've been casually looking for sulfate free shampoos so I checked out Mane n Tail, it does have sodium laurel sulfate.  Anyone have suggestions for sulfate free labels?  Lush?

My mom swears by it too, but Head n Shoulders is not working for my winter dry scalp.  I'm currently trying Selsun Blue but it's too soon to tell.  When I was a teen, I ended up with a prescription dandruff shampoo for a while, but my dermatologist told me last year that OTC shampoos were basically as good these days.  I think the T-Gel will be next on the list to try...

I'm probably the rare hair type who can use a 2 in 1 shampoo, but I prefer not to - I can get away with far less conditioner to get the tangles out, though more doesn't leave my hair greasy.

Other standard advice for dry scalp is to use warm, not hot, water - hotter is more drying.  I don't subscribe to that theory myself, too addicted to steaming hot showers, but it might work for some.  :-)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 12:26:42 AM »
I can't use Head and Shoulders, at least not more than once a week.  It dries my hair right out and yet the scalp gets oily, I think producing more oil to compensate for the drying out.

The Mane and Tail sounds interesting.  Anyone know if it is available in Canada and if it is laurel sulphate free?

I have never heard of it.  Maybe Shoppers or London Drugs?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
I don't have a dandruff problem, but I find my scalp gets itchy and dry in the winter months.  Once Spring hits, things change.  I know it is not seasonal for some, but it is for me.  The most I get is an itchy scalp this time of year and my hairdresser says it is common now.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 01:59:27 AM »
An interesting shampoo alternative - I like my normal shampoo just fine, but this blogger has oily hair and swears by her own recipe.  Worth trying, if you don't want laurel sulphates!

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »
I've been casually looking for sulfate free shampoos so I checked out Mane n Tail, it does have sodium laurel sulfate. Anyone have suggestions for sulfate free labels?  Lush?

My mom swears by it too, but Head n Shoulders is not working for my winter dry scalp.  I'm currently trying Selsun Blue but it's too soon to tell.  When I was a teen, I ended up with a prescription dandruff shampoo for a while, but my dermatologist told me last year that OTC shampoos were basically as good these days.  I think the T-Gel will be next on the list to try...

I'm probably the rare hair type who can use a 2 in 1 shampoo, but I prefer not to - I can get away with far less conditioner to get the tangles out, though more doesn't leave my hair greasy.

Other standard advice for dry scalp is to use warm, not hot, water - hotter is more drying.  I don't subscribe to that theory myself, too addicted to steaming hot showers, but it might work for some.  :-)

I *love* Loreals sulfate free products - I originally switched to them because I had started highlighting my hair and wanted something to help preserve the color better.  I no longer color my hair, but still use their sulfate free line.  Love it. I can buy it just baout everywhere too, so that's nice.

My 14yo son has had problems with that scaly stuff you get on yoru scalp - can't think of the name - and he used the T-gel shampoo that the others have mentioned with good results.  Also the head and shoulders.  Now he's compaining about his hair being oily and I'm wondering, after reading some of your posts, if he isn't overwashing it.  I'll mention it to him.  Great thread!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
I'm going to pipe in with a second vote for the Garnier Fructis line. DD has very curly, thick, dry hair and she was also getting scalp flakes. My husband started working for L'oreal who is their parent company, and we got free samples of their Sleek and Shine Line. What a difference it has made in her hair! No more flakes, no more flyaways and she's able to actually tame the curls.

I'm completely converted to the Garnier line for DD's hair needs - they also have some curl tamers and shapers that work wonders with her hair.

I would not ever use a combination shampoo and conditioner on any hair though - putting them together is counter-productive as one strips the hair and one puts moisture back. Combined, they really can't be very effective on any hair type.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »
Loreal is the only one I've found that is available in drugstores.  It isn't cheap - it runs about $10 for 250 mL here - but it's a lot cheaper than buying a laurel sulphate free product at the hair dressers.  They were going to charge me $30 for the same amount.

I watch for it to be on sale and try to combine it with a bonus rewards offer to make buying it hurt not quite so much.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kckgirl

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »
You may want to try this:

http://www.livingonadime.com/homemade-shampoo-recipe/

I have used it and am pretty impressed. It's cheap, rinses out well, and I read a blog that I now cannot find where the owner said her hair was a total greasy mess until she started using this method.
Maryland

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »
I can't use Head and Shoulders, at least not more than once a week.  It dries my hair right out and yet the scalp gets oily, I think producing more oil to compensate for the drying out.

The Mane and Tail sounds interesting.  Anyone know if it is available in Canada and if it is laurel sulphate free?

I have never heard of it.  Maybe Shoppers or London Drugs?

The store locator on their web site lists Canadian provinces, so the answer to the first part should be "yes".  http://manentail.com/. The answer to the second one is, unfortunately, "no". I checked the ingredient list on the web site.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

chibichan

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
The new Clear range is pretty good too.  It's a Unilever brand, I know it's in Walmart and the like as I've seen the overseas advertising for it.

POD to the Clear products . They are specifically formulated for scalp health .

I have even suggested the Men's line for women who have stubborn problems .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:23 PM »
I finally had time to take her shopping today. She decided she wanted to try the Mane and Tail shampoo and Conditioner  ;D

So after one washing, I'm not sure yet if the scalp flakes are any better, but the combing out afterwards was so much easier than usual. The conditioner is working much better than the child products we were previously using.

I guess I'll see if the scalp improves with some more washings.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.