General Etiquette > Life...in general

Getting rid of wait staff who overstay their welcome.

<< < (2/3) > >>

heartmug:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on January 07, 2013, 11:52:01 AM ---"We're going to send you off now, so we can chat alone."

--- End quote ---

This.  Reminds me of the t.v. show "Fraiser" and how he would look at someone and then say  "Off you go."

Marbles:
"Don't let us keep you."

poundcake:
This is something that is getting to be a problem on the part of the restaurants themselves. Managers encourage their servers to be extra friendly as a starting point, and think that if a server has any free time at all, it should be spent catering to the customers. Unfortunately this now ends up being "overstaying," not just the five minute water refills. A couple times I've had to use a friendly but dismissive "Thanks so much," once with an added "I'm going to get at this while it's still warm" when that wasn't enough. Other variations to the suggestions already given are "I'm going to let you get back to your work now," and "We'll give you a holler if we need anything else."

Is it my imagination, or is almost every interaction anymore, from store clerks to teachers, suppose to be "instant bffs" instead of basic, friendly courtesy??

ETA: If this is happening at a particular restaurant, it might not be a bad idea to contact them and ask them to dial back the super friendly waitstaff.

Nora:
"Walk away, tall. Walk away. Tall."

Ok, no?  ;D

VltGrantham:
Thanks for the advice--it is much appreciated.

I'm beginning to think it's the new trend everywhere now--from restaurants to the optician who wants to know all about my personal life and gush like we're girlfriends.  It's off-putting and annoying.  I feel like if I say anything I'm being a jerk and if I play along, I'm uncomfortable.  I hate trying to eat while someone I barely know is yakking away or trying to tell the 21 year old behind the counter that I'm really not comfortable discussing the pregnancy and birth of my daughter--just please give me the medicine I'm here to pick up!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version