Author Topic: s/o Expect when dining out  (Read 1877 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
s/o Expect when dining out
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »
This is just out of curiosity; I'm not hogtied to either side, necessarily.  I'm not sure if there is a "right" or "wrong" in it.

But there is a restaurant that I just went to to grab some lunch.  You can sit there, but I ordered something to go.  It's not a fancy place, but it's not a McDonalds, either.

The last time I ordered something to go, I got some queso and chips (it's a Mexican food place, obviously).  The lady took my order and told me to go get my chips out of the bin where they get them for the sit-in people.

This time, she came out and got the chips for my order (same bin, but she got them).

When you're at a place getting a to-go order, do you expect them to get something like this for your order?  Or do you expect to get them?

On the one hand, by my getting them, I can get as many - or as few - as I want.  But on the other hand, if I'm paying for a meal, should the person getting my order get the complete order together for me?

Like I said, not an earth-shattering question!  Just something I was thinking about in light of the other thread we have going right now.

ETA (based on a post below that indicates this fact might be good to know):  It's not really a self-serve area, exactly.  It's a place that's accessible to the non-workers, but I don't know that I'd call it really self-serve.

(ETA:  By the way, the fact that they left out my tortillas for the fajita plate that I got - after confirming with me that I wanted flour ones - is another story.  Dang it, I wanted my tortillas!)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:02:58 PM by DottyG »

AngelicGamer

Re: s/o Expect when dining out
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:46:45 PM »
I think I would go by what the restaurant wants for the day.  One day, they were possibly busy with orders and thought you could do it.  Another day, they're not so busy, so they did it for you.  I don't think either way is wrong or the status quo but you could also ask if you could grab your own chips if you want to get your own.  Worse thing they can say is no.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
AG, oh I know you should just go with the flow.  My question is along the same lines of the other thread.  What is your expectation?

pixel dust

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »
If it's in a self-serve area, like a soda fountain, I'd expect to get the chips myself regardless of whether or not I'm getting my meal for here or to go.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
It's not really a self-serve area, exactly.  It's a place that's accessible to the non-workers, but I don't know that I'd call it really self-serve.

I'll put that in the original post, though.  That might be a pertinent fact.

onyonryngs

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
I wouldn't mind if I made the order & I got the chips while I waited for the order, but if I called in an order I would hope that my chips and everything was ready when I got there to pick it up.

CluelessBride

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »
I think this depends on a lot of factors and as such as an order-in/take-out customer I wouldn't actually expect anything. I wouldn't even expect consistency.

However, if I'm calling ahead or placing the order online, I'd expect it to be packaged and ready to go when I got there. Or shortly thereafter if I was early.  (like onyonryngs)

But more importantly, DottyG, now I *really* want chips and queso!  You're a bad influence!  :P ;)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
Well, I would expect them to put them in simply from a business stand point of quantity control, fancy restaurants to diners to McDonalds all generally follow some way of limiting the "freebies".  But I'd also expect at a casual place, during a lunch rush, to occasionally have to go with the flow, as mentioned already. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:05 PM »
I'm ok either way, but I do like consistency.  Staying with the Mexican theme, there is a chain that if you order drive through, they give you plastic containers of the salsa of your choice but it is limited to hot, mild, or pico.  If you go in for a take out order, you go to the salsa bar and fill your own container with the salsas of your choice and the salsa bar has more varieties of salsa and you can also get fresh cilantro and jalepeno's which I like so I usually go inside to get my to go order. 

Actually, the more I think about it, I think I like self serve.  There's a Greek restaurant that when you order a gyro, you then go to the condiment station and dress it with tzatziki (sp) sauce, onions, tomatoes to your liking.   

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 04:53:45 PM »
I didn't get any jalapenos, either. :(  The whole meal was meh.  I've had much better TexMex.

sourwolf

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 05:00:17 PM »
I'm not really sure what you are asking? Every restaurant is different in regards to "to go" "self serve" etc that I don't know what to tell you.  I agree with the PP's though that you should just go with the flow and try not to over think it.  Too much thinking is a dangerous pastime (TM Beauty and the Beast)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »
I think I would rather they be consistent, either way, so I know what to expect, and I'm not standing around doing nothing, for example, when I was supposed to be getting my chips.

To me, self-serving of a main meal component is different from taking your to-go order and dressing it from a condiment area. I've seen lots of places where you can pick up your burrito, say, and help yourself to sauces and chopped onions and that sort of thing, like the dine-in people are doing. I'm not sure I've ever seen a place where I was expected to get a main meal component myself (except for this one Chinese buffet that allowed takeout, so you walked around the buffet filling your own box).
~Lynn2000

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »
I think I would rather they be consistent

This is a good point.  I think a couple of you have said this, and I agree with you.

m2kbug

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »
If the chips aren't in an obvious self-serve area, I would expect the cashier or waitstaff to get them.  They can instruct me otherwise, which would be fine for me to self-serve.  I would worry more about all kinds of strangers sticking their dirty hands in the chip bowl, and for this, I think the restaurant should manage this aspect of filling an order.  Generally speaking, it's really about consistency.  Do I help myself?  Do I not?  The set up would have to be clearly self-serve.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
I would worry more about all kinds of strangers sticking their dirty hands in the chip bowl

I do have to admit that this thought has crossed my mind, too.