Author Topic: Origin of the EHell phrase  (Read 3011 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Origin of the EHell phrase
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »
I got to thinking about this due to a comment in another thread.  So I thought I'd see if we can figure out the origins of some of our EHell phrases and/or words and whether they originated here.

We know that POD is ours (for those who don't know what it means, see the Read Me First folder).  It originated with us, and probably isn't understandable outside of EHell unless we explain it to people.*

Special Snowflake is NOT ours.  It's used outside of here and didn't start with us; we merely use it.  It's even in Urban Dictionary and other places, so it's a widespread term.

Likewise, Scrabble's being used as a euphemism is not our creation; it's used elsewhere and is a widespread term.  This one is also in Urban Dictionary.

What other phrases do we use here?  And did we birth them?

*  By this, I mean the way we use it.  It does have more widespread vulgar meanings.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Re: Origin of the EHell phrase
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:12:41 PM »
Snakes in a restaurant is an EHell original, as I believe it came from a discussion some time ago in which the entire forum was in agreement on a topic (a rare occurrence indeed!).
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:20:57 PM »
A poster witnessed a woman with two (or more) children and a busybody asked her if they had the same father.  The woman said "What an interesting assumption" and an Ehell phrase was born.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
A poster witnessed a woman with two (or more) children and a busybody asked her if they had the same father.  The woman said "What an interesting assumption" and an Ehell phrase was born.

If I recall correctly, that one actually originated with Miss Manners.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »
See, that's what I'm thinking.  We have some phrases that we think we originated, but we actually didn't.

Art, I think you may be right.  If I Google that phrase, I come up with instances of its being used in places other than EHell - and earlier than our introduction of it.

BB-VA

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
I think POD is ours (like peas in a pod, signifying complete agreement).

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »
Bean dip, I believe.

I am sure that we created racist bagels and cavorting snowmen, even if the back story wasn't quite true.

Is the drink Bunny Foo Foo an eHell original?

TylerBelle

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »
I'm unsure of its origins, but I first heard "bacon-fed knave" in here :D.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »
I know I first heard "bat-poo crazy" on here, and it has since made its way into my everyday speech.  (Well, not EVERY day, but my normal lexicon at least!)

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:56 PM »
I heard batpoo crazy and beandip way before eHell so I don't think eHell originated those terms.  ?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 10:35:58 PM »
I don't think bean dip was ours. I found a thread that discussed that one, and someone said, "It looks like it wasn't an eHell coined phrase, maybe a regional variant, due to how easily it is understood.  A Google search turns up no results before 2000, with the earliest being 1 result in 2002, 3 in 2003, and almost no further usage until 2006 or 2007, where it seems to have sprung into popularity.

AKA, I don't think it's from eHell, but I do think it's from a local, English phrase."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:38:59 PM by DottyG »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »
Bean dip, I believe.

I am sure that we created racist bagels and cavorting snowmen, even if the back story wasn't quite true.

Is the drink Bunny Foo Foo an eHell original?

I'm pretty sure that this is the first place I mentioned it - second was a sewing list that I have been on longer than I've been on Etiquette Hell.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14:49 PM »
I remember how Interesting assumption started.  Someone posted about being at the beach or somewhere and overhearing a woman respond to someone's jab.  Can't remember the circumstance tho, but it was an instant hit here. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
So Interesting Assumption isn't ours - it was heard elsewhere and brought here.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:35 PM »
I have to go, the cat's on fire is definitely ours, as is Deer snot uprising