Author Topic: Origin of the EHell phrase  (Read 2991 times)

Dalek

• Am not amused!
Re: Origin of the EHell phrase
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »
Quote from: DottyG

Likewise, Scrabble's being used as a euphemism is not our creation; it's used elsewhere and is a widespread term.  This one is also in Urban Dictionary.

What other phrases do we use here?  And did we birth them?

*  By this, I mean the way we use it.  It does have more widespread vulgar meanings.

Doesn't that cause confusion? Are we allowed to use the word " sex"? I would be afraid that if I posted something about my twins playing scrabble and people thinking I'm a pervert.  :-[
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Steve

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
How about the 'I dated a ninja' thing? Is that local?

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 05:52:25 PM »
Quote from: DottyG

Likewise, Scrabble's being used as a euphemism is not our creation; it's used elsewhere and is a widespread term.  This one is also in Urban Dictionary.

What other phrases do we use here?  And did we birth them?

*  By this, I mean the way we use it.  It does have more widespread vulgar meanings.

Doesn't that cause confusion? Are we allowed to use the word " sex"? I would be afraid that if I posted something about my twins playing scrabble and people thinking I'm a pervert.  :-[

Yes, you can use "sex".  There are words we should not use because they generate inappropriate ads, but those words are filtered out.  I don't like the use of "Scrabble" for sex.  Scrabble is a word game by Hasbro, and I play it, and it's very G-rated. :-P

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:36 AM »

I've never heard it, so maybe.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

faithlessone

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 07:18:21 AM »

I've seen stories all over the place about the various crazy occupations that people on dates have claimed to hold. For my own part, I once had a date try to convince me he was an MI6 agent, but I couldn't tell anyone else. Umm... no.

So probably not?

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
I don't think bean dip was ours. I found a thread that discussed that one, and someone said, "It looks like it wasn't an eHell coined phrase, maybe a regional variant, due to how easily it is understood.  A Google search turns up no results before 2000, with the earliest being 1 result in 2002, 3 in 2003, and almost no further usage until 2006 or 2007, where it seems to have sprung into popularity.

AKA, I don't think it's from eHell, but I do think it's from a local, English phrase."

Thanks for the reference.  For giggles, I'm doing a couple of others.

A date range search for "What an interesting assumption," only returned one result, in 2001.  Though the date searches are by no means an accurate reflection of the English language, they do give a pretty good idea.

(My range searches are currently between 01-01-1991 to 01-01-05, giving me a 14 year range and around the time eHell switched to its new forums-- within a year or so.  Don't remember specifically, only I joined shortly after the move. :P )

BTW, the only usage of the phrase seems to have been in reference to an inflatable bra, and someone calling out "What an interesting assumption that no one wants smaller breasts."  Which seems to be in context to the current phrase, but might be unrelated except in words and spirit.