Author Topic: Picky Eaters (S/O from Snow Flake thread)  (Read 9003 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Picky Eaters (S/O from Snow Flake thread)
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
Funny story from tonight...

My DH and I went out to dinner and he was eating a Caesar salad.  I made a comment on how I didn't know how he could eat that...I find the smell rather revolting.  He couldn't figure out why I didn't like the smell as he said it was just buttermilk and Parmesan cheese and there's nothing I find wrong with those smells.  He looked vaguely green when I told him that Caesar dressing was not made from buttermilk anything, that Caesar dressing should never contain buttermilk, that batch was homemade and had anchovy paste (not Worcestershire sauce, but actually anchovies paste....totally different smell), egg, oil olive, lemon, garlic, pepper, salt and fresh Parmesan. 

He HATES anchovies.  I don't know how he couldn't smell it, let alone, not taste it.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2013, 08:11:35 PM »

My DH and I went out to dinner and he was eating a Caesar salad.  I made a comment on how I didn't know how he could eat that...I find the smell rather revolting.  He couldn't figure out why I didn't like the smell as he said it was just buttermilk and Parmesan cheese and there's nothing I find wrong with those smells.  He looked vaguely green when I told him that Caesar dressing was not made from buttermilk anything, that Caesar dressing should never contain buttermilk, that batch was homemade and had anchovy paste (not Worcestershire sauce, but actually anchovies paste....totally different smell), egg, oil olive, lemon, garlic, pepper, salt and fresh Parmesan. 

He HATES anchovies.  I don't know how he couldn't smell it, let alone, not taste it.

I had no idea it contained fish either when I was much younger. I don't have a good sense of smell - it does not smell or taste of fish to me. Just smells like regular salad dressing.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

CakeBeret

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2013, 09:07:03 PM »

I hate anchovies too, but I loooove a good Caesar dressing. I just don't think about what's in there. :P I'd love to make it homemade, but I won't because of the anchovies.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

MizA

• Every day is the best day ever.
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »
Caesar Salad originally didn't have anchovies. Alton Brown has a great recipe for it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hail-caesar-salad-recipe/index.html
)'( The world would rather hug you than hurt you )'(

Rohanna

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »
Lots of restaurant and other commercial caesar dressings don't contain anchovy- it's a common additive but not a manditory one. Let the man enjoy his salad in peace! :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »
Lots of restaurant and other commercial caesar dressings don't contain anchovy- it's a common additive but not a manditory one. Let the man enjoy his salad in peace! :)

This one most certainly had anchovy and a lot of it.  The lingering smell, bleh, bleh, bleh.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

snowflake

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
I don't see myself as a picky eater because I eat all kinds of things.  But there are a few ingredients that I cannot eat: Eggs that taste like eggs (Normally OK scrambled IF there is over-powering cheese), lemongrass, fresh mint, walnuts, pinto beans and anything but a hint of black pepper a few others.  I know none of the foods make sense but it is what it is.  On a good day I'll just shudder while tasting them.  On a bad day I will vomit immediately.  I'm not being dramatic.  My sister refers to an episode as "absolutely spectacular!"

My mother was always trying to hide these foods in other foods to prove to me that I'm faking it.  For instance, once when I had just had wisdom teeth surgery, she was visiting and offered to make me lunch.  I asked for a scrambled egg sandwich but told her that she MUST add onions and brie.  She handed me a plain egg sandwich, I didn't notice because I was very out of it and ended up puking on top of everything else.

The other day I visited them and she tried to serve me a salad.  I could see that it had walnuts and boiled eggs in it so I declined.  She insisted because it had her special dressing which is made with fresh mint.  I just shook my head.  Really, after cleaning up my vomit for years and years has she not learned a thing here?