Author Topic: Chocolate Wasted Cake - who's had it?  (Read 1482 times)

Iris

Chocolate Wasted Cake - who's had it?
« on: January 11, 2013, 03:16:10 AM »
Hi guys,

My chocolate-loving brother's birthday is coming up and I was thinking of making him a Chocolate Wasted cake. I found a few recipes online, but I also found a few negative reviews.

So I'd love to hear from Ehellions who've made or eaten this cake. Did you enjoy it? Which recipe did you follow and how did it turn out?

I will probably be making it gluten free if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Chocolate Wasted Cake - who's had it?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »
I havent tried it but here is the link to the blog with recipe I plan to follow if I ever do tri it.

http://persephonemagazine.com/2012/04/09/chocolate-wasted-cake-recipe/

magicdomino

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »
I did it for the office at Halloween.  Since there was going to be so much candy on it, I used a box mix in a 9 x 13 pan, making a wretched face out of Twizler mouth and eyebrows, Lindt white chocolate truffle eyeballs, a Milky Way nose, and Bubblicious gum tape tongue. 

The candy coating was chocolate chips (with some leftover white chocolate chips), mini Reeses cups, M&Ms, broken-up Hershey bar with almonds, mini non-pareils, and some chocolate-covered almonds.  Do use the chocolate ganache for the frosting; aside from being melt-in-your-mouth good, it is sturdy enough to hold the candy.  Also, when you choose candy, think about how they will go together.  I almost got Junior Mints, then realized that mint might not go too well with peanut butter and almonds.

CakeBeret

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
I made it for my sister's birthday. I made 3 layers of round cake and put homemade caramel between them, then frosted and topped as directed. I used Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips, Milky Way bars, caramel, chocolate...I don't even remember what all went into it!

I used this recipe: http://artofdessert.blogspot.com/2011/10/chocolate-wasted-cake.html
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

alkira6

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:19:16 PM »
I have had it when someone alse has made it and I have to say that there is just too much stuff involved for me to enjoy it. The first bite was overwhelmingly CHOCOLATE, the second bite screamed SUGAR, and by the third bite I was done.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
For those who have tried it, did you like it for the taste or just the novelty factor?  I want to try it but I can see my family going "cool" taking one bite saying it's too rich and I end up eating the entire thing because I don't want all the cost and money to go to waste.

magicdomino

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
It went over well enough at the office, and I loved it, but we were cutting small pieces.  It was more like eating fun-sized candy bars.  That's one advantage of making a sheet cake, as opposed to a layer cake.  You can cut smaller pieces. 

Iris

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »
Hmmmm, that was my concern too.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. There will only be  a few of us there so I may go with a very small version of the cake. It looks way too expensive to waste.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Me

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 12:13:19 AM »

The cake sounds very rich but I think I may just have to make it to see for myself :D  Thanks for finding me some new baking blogs!