General Etiquette > Life...in general

Dealing with Name Dropper

(1/2) > >>

yokozbornak:
I have recently had to deal with two people who name drop often.  One is a person that I have limited contact with while the other is someone that I have to deal with a fairly regular basis.  My attempts at bean-dipping and even ignoring has not stopped it.  What's even worse, I live in a a place with a fair amount of celebrities (mostly music) and many people in this area work in the music industry and are connected. 

The one that I have to deal with is particularly bad about doing this every time we have a conversation.  Here's a recent example that is almost verbatim exchange minus a few changes.

Her:  "Are you still participating in Big Athletic Event?  When is it?"
Me: "Yes, I have been training for it.  It's happening the first week of March."
Her: "Oh, have you ever heard of Minor Celebrity?"
Me: "Yeah, I've heard of his."
Her: "Well, I am Facebook friends with his wife because we used to work together, and she's participating in it also."
Me: "That's nice."
Her: "Yeah, we go way back.  I knew them before he became famous."
Me: "Oh, okay. Look at the time, I better go find a seat."

She obviously didn't care about my participation in the event, she just wanted me to know that she knew this person.  Most people would have said, " A friend of mine is also partipating."

I am beandipping and being attempting to be polite while being disinterested, but that hasn't seemed to stop it.  I am to the point where I just want to roll my eyes and make a sarcastic response, but I know that is a rude and wrong approach.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this?  I have thought about humor, "Oh, that's nice.  You wouldn't happen to be Facebook friends with Johnny Depp, would you?" but I am not sure if that would be rude. 

MrTango:
Probably the best thing you can do is act as if you don't care.  They're looking for affirmation or to see that you're impressed.

Outdoor Girl:

--- Quote from: yokozbornak on January 08, 2013, 08:06:41 PM ---Her: "Oh, have you ever heard of Minor Celebrity?"

--- End quote ---

You:  "Why?"

I'm just thinking that if you turn it around in a 'Why do you want to know?' style, it might make her not continue on.  She might still carry on but it's worth a shot.

yokozbornak:
I like the "Why?"  idea!  That might throw her for a loop.   I feel like I have been acting disinterested and unimpressed, and that hasn't seemed to really work.

wolfie:
Answering "No" to "Have you heard of X" ruins their fun too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version