General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Language Barrier on the Phone

<< < (5/5)

AuntyEm:
My MIL lives in Copenhagen and often speaks in the course of her business by phone to colleagues just across the bridge in Sweden.  Though each can understand each other's languages in person, on the phone she said it is easier if they both just agree to speak English--a foreign language for both of them.

MissRose:

--- Quote from: AuntyEm on February 01, 2013, 11:59:56 PM ---My MIL lives in Copenhagen and often speaks in the course of her business by phone to colleagues just across the bridge in Sweden.  Though each can understand each other's languages in person, on the phone she said it is easier if they both just agree to speak English--a foreign language for both of them.

--- End quote ---

When I went to Denmark to see a friend who lived some distance from, Copenhagen, and 2 friends (one a Dane, one a Swede) came over to Copenhagen to see me when I was visiting from the USA, we all spoke English as I do not know Danish or Swedish.  All 3 of my friends have impeccable spoken English with a slight British accent as I can tell they have learned English from a young age.  When I was in stores or other public places with my friend, and if those helping us like cashiers heard us speaking English, they did revert to English also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version