Author Topic: Odd Comment From A FSIL  (Read 6780 times)

Tabby Uprising

Re: Odd Comment From A FSIL
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
I think it doesn't matter if it was a joke/not a joke. Clarissa is spending waaaay too much time dwelling it on. She doesn't need to analyze how Daphne dresses or alter her own style of dress unless she plans on walking on eggshells around her for the rest of her life. Assuming the worst about Daphne, why let that type of person live rent free in her head?

That is an interesting assumption.  She told me about it and I asked her a follow up question.   She's not going to alter her style of dressing, but isn't going to wear any obviously designer things when she meets her next month.  If Daphne has some sort of chip on her shoulder, well she lives in another state and it would be wiser to wait until after all the wedding festivities are over.  Charles is not very close to his sister and it shouldn't be an issue in the future.

I get not liking the joke.  I get not sharing the same sense of humor, but to take a one-off comment and base your wardrobe decisions upon it seems odd to me. That's part of what gives the sense that she's too invested in this.  Or at least over thinking it. 

SIL made a joke about our ring sizes so now I must not wear designer clothes around her?  I can't wrap my brain around it. 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
I think it doesn't matter if it was a joke/not a joke. Clarissa is spending waaaay too much time dwelling it on. She doesn't need to analyze how Daphne dresses or alter her own style of dress unless she plans on walking on eggshells around her for the rest of her life. Assuming the worst about Daphne, why let that type of person live rent free in her head?

That is an interesting assumption.  She told me about it and I asked her a follow up question.   She's not going to alter her style of dressing, but isn't going to wear any obviously designer things when she meets her next month.  If Daphne has some sort of chip on her shoulder, well she lives in another state and it would be wiser to wait until after all the wedding festivities are over.  Charles is not very close to his sister and it shouldn't be an issue in the future.

I get not liking the joke.  I get not sharing the same sense of humor, but to take a one-off comment and base your wardrobe decisions upon it seems odd to me. That's part of what gives the sense that she's too invested in this.  Or at least over thinking it. 

SIL made a joke about our ring sizes so now I must not wear designer clothes around her?  I can't wrap my brain around it.

I agree.  That's just bizarre.  I think the preoccupation with status, bigger rings, and designer clothing is coming from Clarissa's head here, rather than Daphne's.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »
POD to Surianne.  Clarissa needs to let it go.  Even if Daphne is awful and intentionally wanted to hurt Clarissa with her ring comment, who cares.  Move on, be yourself.