Author Topic: Line cutters  (Read 4984 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Line cutters
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
IF there had been a problem with the woman's prescription and she was told to come to the front of the line she could have calmly explained that to the others in line.  However, she didn't do that.  All she did was make herself look entitled and snowflakish.  OP, I think you were fine to speak up and I would have backed you up as well.

To be honest, I have been told by a cashier/clerk/whomever to come right back to them after stepping out of line.  If I'm told to come back to the front of the line, I don't think I owe anyone an explanation.  If the clerk/cashier/whomever wants to explain then fine. 

That being said, most people who I have seen "jump the line" because of that reason don't look back at the line or make excuses, but instead go directly to where they were told to stand and wait until they are called. 

I get suspicious when there is a story or people start getting loud in order to justify the reasons they are cutting in front of people.

Iris

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 08:22:33 PM »
A lot can depend on the tone of voice, too. I once had a woman mistakenly believe that I had cut in line - in fact I had been there longer than her and she had simply not noticed me because of how the counter was arranged. However, her tone of voice as she said "Excuse me, there's a line!" was so aggressive that there was no *way* I was going to engage with her and I can't blame the assistant for not doing so either. I just stepped further across and the assistant helped me there without either of us speaking a word to her. If the situation had been such that I had to reply I may well have sounded defensive, because her tone of voice immediately made me feel attacked and defensive.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »
IF there had been a problem with the woman's prescription and she was told to come to the front of the line she could have calmly explained that to the others in line.  However, she didn't do that.  All she did was make herself look entitled and snowflakish.  OP, I think you were fine to speak up and I would have backed you up as well.

To be honest, I have been told by a cashier/clerk/whomever to come right back to them after stepping out of line.  If I'm told to come back to the front of the line, I don't think I owe anyone an explanation.  If the clerk/cashier/whomever wants to explain then fine. 

That being said, most people who I have seen "jump the line" because of that reason don't look back at the line or make excuses, but instead go directly to where they were told to stand and wait until they are called. 

I get suspicious when there is a story or people start getting loud in order to justify the reasons they are cutting in front of people.

My first thought (given her comment about "waiting since yesterday") was that the pharmacy had told her to come back the next day, and go straight up to the counter.

On one hand, she could have politely explained that to the OP and the rest of the people in the queue. But on the other hand, I kind of agree with PastryGoddess. The woman was under no obligation to explain herself, like a naughty child! (That said, I think if she wasn't going to explain, keeping quiet would have been her best option). 

ettiquit

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »
I don't see why it would be a problem to just explain to the line that she was told to go straight up to the counter if someone complained.  I always assume that's the case anyway when it happens someplace like a pharmacy.

katiescarlett

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
Well I think there are two problems, and yeah the first is a 20 minute line at the pharmacy - you know that's not ok or normal, right?  It should be moving a lot faster then that, they need more employees or a better system or something. I would expect, absolutely without a second thought, that I could run in and get my Rx and be out in 5 minutes or so.

But onto the line cutter.  I'm sorry no one backed you up.  I would have.

A while ago I was online for a ticket machine for a train.  These trains only run every 30 minutes and it was scheduled to be there in about 4.  There were 3 people ahead of me.  I was a bit antsy.  a young woman ran in and up to the line and pleaded with those in line in front of me that she "needed" to be on that train.  Someone was about to let her cut when I spoke up "I need t be on that train too, and there are 3 people ahead of me, if you want to get at the end to give her your spot fine, but she may not cut in!"  I said it firmly with a bit of force and the one who was about to let her cut sort of slumped her shoulders and shook her head at the girl. (We all did get our tickets, but dang I don't see why I should have been the stressed person at the back of the line if I showed up in time!)

Actually, at least at the pharmacy I work in, a 15-20 minute wait is the norm.  Now, this is not waiting in line, this is after you have signed in.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
So, cutting in line is rude.  And I think the OP was ok to say something to the cutter.

BUT, I don't necessarily disagree with the Pharmacy for catering to the impatient customer.  Yes, it sucks to see a rude person get their way, but in the long run, I think it's better for EVERYONE ELSE to identify somone (not the cashier) to get this customer out as quickly as possible.  Otherwise, you have someone being disruptive for several minutes and slowing things down even more.  Not to mention agitating everyone else around them.   I understand that catering to rudeness does not necessarily encourage a rude person from behaving better in the future.  I just don't think that it's up to a business, that needs to consider all their customers, to teach/enforce those lessons.  This wasn't the time/place for it.  I think the Pharmacy did the best they could given the circumstances.

LilacRosey

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 07:16:23 PM »
I don't like it when people go try to go ahwad of me in line but I do think some of the above people are right that the pharmacy handled it okay even if it doesn't seem fair which it doesn't., LilacRosey

CatFanatic

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
I believe many pharmacy staff are actually told (by management) to placate angry customers in order to keep the peace. I think the reasoning is that it is a tense, high-risk environment and the first aim is to prevent violence, not promote good manners. It's sad, really. My two local pharmacies have guards near the counters now, just like in emergency rooms.  :-\

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
Well I think there are two problems, and yeah the first is a 20 minute line at the pharmacy - you know that's not ok or normal, right?  It should be moving a lot faster then that, they need more employees or a better system or something. I would expect, absolutely without a second thought, that I could run in and get my Rx and be out in 5 minutes or so.

Actually, this is absolutely the norm at the Kaiser I go to.  They have every window open but there are just so many people wanting to pick up their Rx that it just takes that long.

Mr NiceGuy

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »
In this particular case, the lady was very rude to you when you made an honest and acceptable statement to her for cutting.  It's very possible (and I'd say likely given her response about waiting 'since yesterday') that she was returning to the Pharmacy for something that she had no control over in which case the extra pharmacist assisting her was probably the best option available.  She could have simply said that however instead of being rude.

In general, line cutting is a large problem at the pharmacy by my office.  It's in the middle of downtown KC and the way the registers are crammed next to the door, a single line tends to form and people will filter from the front of it to the next open register.  At least once a week someone will see all of us standing in that line (it's always 5-10 deep due to volume) and immediately cut in front of all of us to stand next to someone who is checking out assuming that they are now' next'.  I am also a rather vocal person and have no problem saying directly, politely, and loudly that there is a single line that funnels to the registers and they're welcome to get in it.  I've gotten everything from embarrassed compliance to racist verbal assaults for speaking up, but not once has another customer or an employee spoken up to assist.  It's a bummer that so many people lack the polite spine because it's encouraging this behavior by not correcting it.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »
Actually, at least at the pharmacy I work in, a 15-20 minute wait is the norm.  Now, this is not waiting in line, this is after you have signed in.

Actually, this is absolutely the norm at the Kaiser I go to.  They have every window open but there are just so many people wanting to pick up their Rx that it just takes that long.

Wow.  I have never "signed in" to a pharmacy so I don't even know what that means, nor have I ever waited in line/to be helped for more then 3-5 minutes max and that would be a very unusually long wait.  Sure its a wait to have them fill your Rx, but you can leave the store, or wander around the store during that time (or you call in your Rx or refill in advance so its ready when you arrive), its not a "wait in line" situation.  I would switch pharmacy's in either of these ^ situations, as they seem understaffed or poorly managed.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 12:55:45 PM »

Wow.  I have never "signed in" to a pharmacy so I don't even know what that means, nor have I ever waited in line/to be helped for more then 3-5 minutes max and that would be a very unusually long wait.  Sure its a wait to have them fill your Rx, but you can leave the store, or wander around the store during that time (or you call in your Rx or refill in advance so its ready when you arrive), its not a "wait in line" situation.  I would switch pharmacy's in either of these ^ situations, as they seem understaffed or poorly managed.

Gosh, me too.  I'd be very unhappy about having to wait in line 20 minutes just to pick up a prescription that I'd refilled over the phone.  Fortunately, the pharmacy we use is pretty efficient.  I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes, and that's when it's really busy!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
I've heard in the UK people can get rather hoity toity about queuejumpers.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
A lot of the pharmacies around here have 3 windows - 1 says "drop off"  You go there to tell them what you initially need/want.  They tell you how long it will take - 15 minutes tomorrow, etc.  You can then leave to wander, shop, etc. If you take longer than the 15 minutes to come back - no problem.

Then there is the pick-up window.  The purpose of that is obvious.

There is also a consultation window for people who have a question, need to get a flu shot, etc.

This system seems like it might have helped somewhat in some of the situations described.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »
Not that it excuses the bad behavior, but it is possible that the pharmacy had messed up her order one or more times, and that this was not her first 20 minute line to pick up her meds.  IMO, that would justify the pharmacy's actions.

This. She was still rude in how she explained it, but I've seen situations where a business has advised a customer to "come to the front of the line" when they return because of problems/mistakes on the business's part.

Since she said she'd been waiting "since yesterday" it wouldn't surprise me if the pharmacy had a long wait and then when it was finally her turn they didn't have her prescription in stock, even though she'd been told it was ready for pick up. In that case, especially if she'd had a long wait and (justifiably IMO) complained about the long wait for nothing because of the pharmacy's mistake, I could see a clerk telling her she could bypass the line the next day.

I did that last week at the tax assessor's office (annual vehicle registration) - I didn't have a piece of paper so I went outside to look in the glove compartment for it.  I was told to get in line at that window when I got back and she'd help me "next" instead of getting another numbered ticket and waiting in line to get called again.

The registration went very quickly after that (and I stayed back about six feet or so to give some "privacy" to the person that she was working with when I came back in). 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?