Author Topic: Small Changes You've Made That Make a Difference  (Read 2362 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Small Changes You've Made That Make a Difference
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
What are things you've done or changed (in the way you do things), however small and insignificant, yet seem to make things better or easier for you? If that makes any sense.

Mine are simple. I am the queen of procrastination, and have been guilty at times of not quite being able to get it together.  I've started figuring out what I'm going to wear the night before, so in the morning, that's one less thing I have to do. I am NOT a morning person, and that simple step has made it soooo much easier, IMHO, to get going and out the door.

I'm also a slob, and tend to leave clutter around, which annoys me. I've started trying to keep things picked up, and putting things away as soon as I'm done with them. I've also tried to make a concious effort to put anything I might need in my purse or bag, i.e. receipts for returns, coupons, anything like that, so I can tackle them quickly, and get them out of the way.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Small Changes You've Made That Make a Difference
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
I have had terrible insomnia for many years and spent most nights sleeping just a couple of hours, spending most of the time in bed with my brain wheels spinning, restless and frustrated, not to mention constantly exhausted the next day. 
I have started getting up at the first sign of restlessness and going to the recliner chair where I get cozy under my yards of fleece (2 and 3 yard pieces of 60 inch fleece) I recently bought, and, oddly enough, fall asleep.  I might sleep for just an hour or two, but I flip on the TV or work a word game and then drift off again.  Nights are a lot less hateful.  And I'm getting more sleep. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Girlie

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
I've put away the debit card for gas and food purchases for my husband and me. I take out a set, flat amount from the account every week, divy it up between us, and that's our allowance.

Since I'm the one who has to keep up with the account and our expenses, it's a LOT easier doing it this way. The other way (where we both used our debit cards whenever) was a lot harder because he was always having to report to me for every dime he spent! This way evens it out a lot better. :)

pixel dust

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »
I'm quite lazy and normally hate cleaning, emptying the dish washer, putting dishes in the dish washer, etc. I just started this a couple days ago but it's worked the past couple nights so I'm going to try and keep doing it. I put my favorite band on loudly, do NOT turn on the TV or sit on the couch, and immediately start doing the daily household chores (a load of laundry, loading the dishwasher, getting dinner ready, etc.) and in 15-30 minutes I'm on my couch watching TV with a neater house and dinner in the oven. :)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
I have a milk crate basket near the front door where backpacks, purse, dayplanner, errand stuff lives.  When we're leaving for school/work/etc., I pick up the entire crate and set it on the floor of the car or the passenger seat.  Library books don't get forgotten around the house or in the back seat  ::) and we're not rushing in the morning finding things.

I am what my counselor calls an OosOom (Out of sight, Out of mind).  Like SiameseCat, I tend to leave things out because "I'll just need that again soon", or out of laziness or not "seeing" clutter.  I too have made an effort at picking up as I go, policing a room I'm in for anything wrong or out of place, purging belongings so there's less scattered around, and finding homes for everything.  My favorite is clear plastic bins, where I can see things but they're in order.

I am the master procrastinator, again like Siamese and a lot of others.  I get overwhelmed if I think a job is too large or complex.  So I break things down: say it's cleaning the kitchen-I clear one counter, or do one load of dishes.  That way, I see progress and I get more motivated to finish.  Actually doing the job seems to go faster and with less stress than the procrastination and angst about beginning  ::).

All of these are a work in progress, naturally.

LibraryLady

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »
Ever since our minister did a sermon on prayer; I have been laying my problems/thought up to God each night (or your deity of choice).
It has surprised me sometimes how long I pray and what I pray for.

I have found that I sleep better at night.   :)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »
I set all of my clocks 10 minutes forward.  I still rush sometimes, but I'm a lot less stressed
I write for at least an hour a day.  Sometimes I only get 500 words, sometimes I can do 2000, but at least I'm writing and not procrastinating
I get on the treadmill for at least 15 min each day.  I know I'm not always going to want to go to the gym, but I have to pass the treadmill to get anywhere in the house.

onyonryngs

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
I used to let the laundry pile up.  It gets overwhelming with kids sometimes.  Now, rather than do everything on the weekends, I try to do a couple small loads during the week and then fold while I'm watching my shows.

SheltieMom

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
I set all of my clocks 10 minutes forward.  I still rush sometimes, but I'm a lot less stressed
I write for at least an hour a day.  Sometimes I only get 500 words, sometimes I can do 2000, but at least I'm writing and not procrastinating
I get on the treadmill for at least 15 min each day.  I know I'm not always going to want to go to the gym, but I have to pass the treadmill to get anywhere in the house.
My mother used to set the clocks forward. My brothers and I learned to tell time that way, and had trouble with clocks that were set "right"!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

onyonryngs

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »
My mother used to set the clocks forward. My brothers and I learned to tell time that way, and had trouble with clocks that were set "right"!

I do that with the clock in my car.  My husband did me a "favor" once and reset it at daylight savings time & I took me a week to figure out why I was running late.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
After allowing my weight to creep up over the space of two years, I decided at the end of last summer to stop my lifelong habit of constantly nibbling. It took some weeks to get over it (before, I would sometimes nibble without even realizing it) and I had to learn new habits, but it was worth it.  I lost about 14 lbs. and went back to my pre-marriage dress size. I still treat myself to nice foods, but now I have a full scoop of ice cream once a week rather than constantly sneaking a little spoonful here and there.

AtraBecca

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:57:55 PM »
We-ell... I've taken up Primal living, I don't eat wheat, soy, vegetable oil, or pretty much anything processed. I started going to the gym, got a personal trainer - expensive! - and so far I've lost 70 pounds and I feel fantastic! ...Up until today, when I started getting a cold. Le sigh.

I suppose those aren't SMALL changes, though. XD

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 12:11:11 AM »
I like clothes. I buy clothes. I realize I have way too many clothes... but when you don't wear them often, you want to wear everything that you think is groovy  :P  I need to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Just did a mini purging of my closet/room. 4 purses, 2 tote bags, 6 pairs of pants, 2 nice blouses, a bunch of shirts, 4 scarves/pashminas, and my favorite fantastic leather coat with poofs on the sleeves and trim. Not sure if they are going to consignment, Goodwill, or Freecycle, but they are on their way to a new home.

I still have a ton of stuff to go through. The plan is for DH to take these out, see what kind of local response there is for gently used items, and come back with the info. With the new AF uniform regs, I have 3 pairs of brand new steel toed boots that need a home (that retail for well over $100  ;D) Plus quilted overalls, 2 formal dresses, barely used shoes (late growth spurt  >:( ), and a bunch more clothes and randomness. I'd have a yard sale, but after a couple of traumatic childhood incidents involving yard sales, I kind of don't want to. Plus, most of what I have is clothes and knick knacks....

My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 01:34:31 AM »
Since a while, I start up my ipad and read during night time feedings of my baby. The whose feeding, burping and putting to sleep cycle can last an hour, and I really needed something to keep me awake and pass the time. Before, every minute crept by on the back of a snail, and this reaulted me in being less patient and being quickly frustrated. Now I am so entertained by fun articles at times, that I sometimes look up to notice the baby has fallen asleep on my breast.

dawnfire

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 06:37:19 AM »
Since a while, I start up my ipad and read during night time feedings of my baby. The whose feeding, burping and putting to sleep cycle can last an hour, and I really needed something to keep me awake and pass the time. Before, every minute crept by on the back of a snail, and this reaulted me in being less patient and being quickly frustrated. Now I am so entertained by fun articles at times, that I sometimes look up to notice the baby has fallen asleep on my breast.

that how I read my e books. I have an e reader on my laptop and set up so I only need to use a finger to tab through pages.