Poll

If you had to choose to go without one of the following senses/abilities for a year, which one would it be?

Sight
0 (0%)
Hearing
1 (2.3%)
Taste
15 (34.9%)
Smell
25 (58.1%)
Touch
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: January 13, 2013, 07:36:42 PM

Author Topic: If I had to go without ........  (Read 958 times)

PurpleFrog

Re: If I had to go without ........
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:49 AM »
I voted smell, but then I work in a hospital and its norovirus season.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Amava

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 03:17:19 AM »
It was a toss up between hearing and sight. I need my sight to work, so it would be more feasible to give up hearing music for a year. Smell/taste would be bad, because I would end up giving myself food poisoning and not being able to feel a hug for a year would kill me dead.
This, and the whole topic actually, reminds me of one of my great-aunts. She had lost smell and taste, permanently, after being operated on to remove a brain tumor.
She always had to ask her husband or her daughter if something "still smelled okay" if it had been open for a while (for example deli meats).

Personally, I think I'd pick "taste" in answer to the poll.

But the sad thing is of course that we don't get to choose these things in life. When illness or accidents strike, they don't ask what you'd prefer to miss...

Nevertheless, interesting question to think about.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »
...She always had to ask her husband or her daughter if something "still smelled okay" if it had been open for a while (for example deli meats). ...

That is me.  I also toss stuff out when in doubt, since I can't use the smell test.