Author Topic: Proms  (Read 602 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Proms
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
I am not the mother of a teen girl, nor do I play one on TV, so I have to ask those who are:  When do proms happen and what kinds of jewelry and perfume do girls wear for this?

I ask because I do gift package giveaways on my fragrance forum and wonder what should be included in a prom package.  I have a tiara or two I don't use, so are those worn?  How about cubic zirconias?  Chandelier earrings?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Nikko-chan

Re: Proms
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:58 AM »
depends on the girl about the tiaras. Yes cubic zirconia would most likely be worn I think. I wore some doo dads in my hair that had cubic zirconia in them I think. Wore them for homecoming. I never went to prom (You had to pay an arm and a leg, plus buy a dress, shoes etc. There was no way.)

It really depends on the person, what they will wear, etc. I would think to include a small bottle of perfume or fragrance spray maybe, if it is inexpensive? Perhaps some nail polish and things of that nature, so the young lady in question can do her nails for prom? Makeup samples?

Other than that I have no idea!

miredrose326

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »
I think proms around here (Michigan) are in the late April/May time frame. My kids aren't quite old enough yet, but they are getting there.

Yes, I would think any of those would or could be worn to prom depending on the girl.
My beautiful babies 

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:17 AM »
My daughter won a prom package two years ago from a big box store, it had perfume, matching earrings & necklace (cubic zircona) and a solid colored clutch (her choice - gold, silver, black or white).  It was a nice package.

Tiarras are out - with my daughter's group, doesn't mean they are out nationwide.  I would not go with nail polish, most girls go with a herd of other friends to get their nails done prom day, most get their hair done too. 

If this is a giveaway package you are putting together I would not put too much in it especially if it is an expense to you - perfume and jewelry are great.  Maybe a small gift card at a popular local fast food restaurant for a quick bite between their hair/nails, getting dressed.  The clutch was perfect - also these large hard cased wallets are very popular.  Gloves have not been popular for the last couple of years - but golly they sure are classy wish you could make them come back.

Lipsticks, lip glosses and breath mints would be nice also.  I wouldn't go with makeup because of the sensitivity of so many skin types.  But maybe a gift card to a nearby salon (could be used another time as well) would be nice.   

The more extravagant & ridiculous expense has been limo's and some expensive, overpriced dinner. 

Here in our area of Texas all the proms I am aware of are in the spring - late March to early May.   

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »
I can't do gift cards for those things because the giveaway will be online and I have no idea where the winner will be from.  It's a perfume forum so that's no problem.  I currently have a Valentine's package there that contains a pink CZ heart and a flowered tote bag that was a promotional item for one of the fragrance introductions.  There is also a jeweled hair ornament and a folding fan (the latter items from a dollar store).

I have a Mother's Day one planned, so this was just an idea.  If proms happen as early as April I don't know if this idea is viable; thanks to you and anyone else who has info on this.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »
No to the tiara, yes to the earrings. A necklace is good. Dress styles kind of go in and out of style and depend on the area. Prom hair is a thing so many girls get appoinments to have their 'dos done. Nails, maybe pedis, edpecially with open toed shoes.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »
Quite honestly, anything a teen wins related to prom is a huge boost to them so you can get away with minimal packages. 

In other words there are not any gift packages out there that include a dress, hair, nails, makeup, jewelry and shoes.  There are very few and very small giveaways associated with prom in our area.

I think anything involving fragrance is GREAT - especially for teen girls these days who go through 50 fragrances before they kind of settle on a signature/favorite fragrance for themselves.   

fountainsoflettuce

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »
CZ earrings, necklaces, and bracelets are all good options.  Perhaps a small clutch in silver or black as another poster mentioned. It could include some "emergency items" like a nail file, breath mints, etc.   And of course, the gift package should be free of any "home smells" like the smell of cigarette smoke.  But I'm sure you know that.  Nothing ruins a great gift like the smell of smoke or other strange odors emitting from the package when opened.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »
A prepaid gc might help with hair or nails

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
Not a tiara- those are worn by prom queens/princesses/whatever and I don't think would go over well.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls