Author Topic: Strange Encounter  (Read 4561 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Strange Encounter
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »
This morning, after dropping off DS at school, I made a coffee and gas run before heading across town to work. Get there, park at the pump, walk inside with my mug to fill and pay for the gas.
This takes place at the coffee dispensers and the bar where there are cream and sugar, flavorings, etc.

Man: Are you going to make my coffee for me?
Me: (After I realized he was talking to me) No
Man: Continuing to talk (I ignore him)
Man: Can I give you my number? You have very pretty feet.
Me: No (this is where I stop responding altogether)
Man: Continuing to talk and to mention my feet

What could I have done to make this stop? Anything? I frequent that place often and this is the first I have experienced something like this.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
Re: Strange Encounter
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »
I think ignoring and walking away is the best thing to do.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

MrTango

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:24:56 AM »

Agreed.

RobinJ

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:29:31 AM »

Agreed.

I agree as well.  Plus, either hang out at the cash register until he leaves or try to leave well before he leaves so you can be done pumping gas and back in your vehicle as quickly as possible.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
This morning, after dropping off DS at school, I made a coffee and gas run before heading across town to work. Get there, park at the pump, walk inside with my mug to fill and pay for the gas.
This takes place at the coffee dispensers and the bar where there are cream and sugar, flavorings, etc.

What could I have done to make this stop? Anything? I frequent that place often and this is the first I have experienced something like this.

Go to the clerk and tell them what happened and if the Man shows up again you want them to call the police.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:25:18 AM »
Agree with others.  Just ignore.

If someone would like this would keep pestering me, I would turn to them and say, "If you talk to me again, I will be calling 911 and reporting a stalker/creepy guy". 

CaptainObvious

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »

Go to the clerk and tell them what happened and if the Man shows up again you want them to call the police.

What could the Police do, the guy was creepy, but there is no law against that.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »

There is a law against harassing people.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
TBH the way US culture is I'm pretty sure the police would just roll their eyes if they got called over a creep acting creepy.

Ignoring and walking away is the best thing to do. Guys like this are usually trolling for attention.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

CaptainObvious

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »

There is a law against harassing people.

There are, but this wasn't harassment. If she had asked him to stop, and he persisted, or followed her when she walked away, then yes, it would be harrassment. But, it seems as if walking away shut him down.

In the future, I would look him straight in the eye and tell him not to speak to you, or tell him to stop talking. Alerting the clerk as to what he said would also be a good idea.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »

This is exactly where "don't engage the crazy" applies.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:29 AM »
I think the only legal involvement would be to notify the manager and the guy could be trespassed. He did stop following me around, but I could hear him continue to talk about me and my feet. I am completely baffled, but I left after paying and was so thankful that he was not in either of the cars to the side of mine.

I am just going with this being a strange, one time, event and I am not going to dwell on it. I did make eye contact each time I said no, but not after that.

amylouky

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »
I definitely think it's odd, and would have made me uncomfortable, but I think the suggestion of getting police involved is way over the top.
I don't see why a "Please stop talking to or about me, you are making me very uncomfortable" couldn't have been tried first, then reporting to the manager of the store if he continued.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »
I did not notify the manager, but I felt the least said to this man was best.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »
It would be appropriate to also say, the moment he said, "can I have your number":
  "I'm not interested in talking to you. Leave me alone."

Say it firmly and loud enough for someone to overhear.