General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Why Does She Even Care? (Sorry, a bit long)

(1/6) > >>

BeagleMommy:
The problem I had surgery for in my right shoulder last year has now migrated to my left shoulder.  My doctor is sending me to physical therapy for the problem before deciding if another surgery is necessary.  I made arrangements with my director that I would schedule my therapy sessions for the last appointment of the day and he would allow me to eat at my desk and leave an hour early so I don't have to use up my leave.  He's very generous.  My sessions will be three days per week.  I've also made sure to notify other coworkers so they know I won't be available.  No one is affected by this since it is so late in the day.  Also, since nothing needs to be done with payroll, Annoying Coworker doesn't need to process anything.

About 1/2 an hour before leaving I change into jeans, a T-shirt and sneakers (also approved by my director) because my office wear is not appropriate for therapy.  I never wear old or torn jeans or T-shirts with inappropriate things on them.

It takes me 15 minutes to drive to the therapists office so I usually arrive 10 minutes before my appointment.

Yesterday, Annoying Coworker came by my desk and said:

AC:  Weren't  you wearing a skirt before?
Me:  Yes, but I'm leaving for my therapy appointment in 10 minutes.
AC:  Can't you change there?
Me:  No.
AC:  Why can't you just wear your work clothes?
Me:  Because I can't move properly if I do.
AC:  Don't they have scrubs that you can change into?
Me:  No.  (This is an outpatient office; not in a hospital)
AC:  Why?

At this point I just kind of blinked at her.  Would I have been rude to say "Why does this concern you?"

LeveeWoman:

--- Quote from: BeagleMommy on January 10, 2013, 09:47:59 AM ---The problem I had surgery for in my right shoulder last year has now migrated to my left shoulder.  My doctor is sending me to physical therapy for the problem before deciding if another surgery is necessary.  I made arrangements with my director that I would schedule my therapy sessions for the last appointment of the day and he would allow me to eat at my desk and leave an hour early so I don't have to use up my leave.  He's very generous.  My sessions will be three days per week.  I've also made sure to notify other coworkers so they know I won't be available.  No one is affected by this since it is so late in the day.  Also, since nothing needs to be done with payroll, Annoying Coworker doesn't need to process anything.

About 1/2 an hour before leaving I change into jeans, a T-shirt and sneakers (also approved by my director) because my office wear is not appropriate for therapy.  I never wear old or torn jeans or T-shirts with inappropriate things on them.

It takes me 15 minutes to drive to the therapists office so I usually arrive 10 minutes before my appointment.

At this point I just kind of blinked at her.  Would I have been rude to say "Why does this concern you?"

--- End quote ---

No.

GrammarNerd:

--- Quote from: LeveeWoman on January 10, 2013, 09:51:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: BeagleMommy on January 10, 2013, 09:47:59 AM ---The problem I had surgery for in my right shoulder last year has now migrated to my left shoulder.  My doctor is sending me to physical therapy for the problem before deciding if another surgery is necessary.  I made arrangements with my director that I would schedule my therapy sessions for the last appointment of the day and he would allow me to eat at my desk and leave an hour early so I don't have to use up my leave.  He's very generous.  My sessions will be three days per week.  I've also made sure to notify other coworkers so they know I won't be available.  No one is affected by this since it is so late in the day.  Also, since nothing needs to be done with payroll, Annoying Coworker doesn't need to process anything.

--- End quote ---

No.

--- End quote ---

Or even a "Why are we having this conversation?"

or  just cut her off with a "Did you have a work related question?"

MrTango:

--- Quote from: GrammarNerd on January 10, 2013, 09:55:12 AM ---"Did you have a work related question?"

--- End quote ---

This is perfect, and could have been used at any point during the conversation.

AC: "Weren't you wearing a skirt before?"
OP: "Do you have a work-related question?"

It's cold, but not rude.

ETA: Given the past history with Annoying Coworker, I think the OP would be okay with responding to any non work-related question or comment in that manner.

oceanus:
She is the rude one.  You should stop explaining yourself and stop answering her nosey questions.

Just a stare would be fine.  Or a smile followed by "Don't worry about it."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version