News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 18, 2017, 01:13:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Joint Thank You Note for Individual Gifts  (Read 1143 times)

Eeep!

Joint Thank You Note for Individual Gifts
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
Hi All! 
I would like to say that I am not in anyway upset or distraught about this situation. It is more something that gave me pause and I thought I would run it by my dear eHellions to see what you think. :)

My ODS is in preschool and has 3 teachers.  For Christmas, the teachers were all given Christmas gifts out of a fund that the parents give money towards at the beginning of the year. (It is a Christian school, hence the Christmas gift.) We wanted to also give them gifts from ODS so he made them each Christmas ornaments and he gave them those along with giftcards to a local chocolate/ice cream store.  He gave each of these to the teachers individually and they did thank him in person.

On the first day back from Christmas break, we received a thank you note from all of the teachers that thanked us for the parent group gift and then also said they would enjoy eating  chocolate (no mention of the ornaments). I thought briefly that is was odd that they were all thanking for their individual gifts in one card but I realize that (1) the primary reason for the card was to say thank you for the group gift and (2) they already did thank him in person and (3) they likely had quite a few thank you notes to write.

Now, like I said, this is really no big deal and I'm not losing any sleep over this or anything (the card was nice), just wanted your opinions.  I assume that because of the reasons above - particularly #2 - they probably were in the etiquette clear.  But what if they hadn't thanked him in person? Do you think it still would have been proper etiquette to give one thank you card for three separate gifts?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Hmmmmm

Re: Joint Thank You Note for Individual Gifts
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »
Yes,I think one Thank You Card per gift giving occassion is fine.  If you co-hosted a shower for a friend and also contributed to a joint gift with a co-hostess, would you expect a separate card thanking for hosting and another thanking you for your part of the gift?

Penguin_ar

Re: Joint Thank You Note for Individual Gifts
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:31 AM »
It sounds like the cards were probably provided by the school, so that all teachers of each kid would write in it and then give it to the parent, as each parent contributed to the group gift.  Then they personalised yours as you gave extra gifts. I think it is fine, not just because they thanked him in person (the thank you card was for you as a family, it seems, not just him or just the parents), but also because while you gave individual gifts, it was one gift giving occasion and one group you gave to.  For example, when my  mother sends my husband and I individual gifts for Christmas, I send her one thank you card, jointly from both of us.