General Etiquette > Life...in general

Statements about my cat - rude?

<< < (18/18)

Venus193:
"I don't find such talk helpful or kind."

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on January 11, 2013, 10:51:56 AM ---
--- Quote from: Seraphia on January 11, 2013, 09:27:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: TootsNYC on January 10, 2013, 10:24:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on January 10, 2013, 09:31:16 PM ---When I hear people say horrible things about animals, specifically what people said to the OP, it makes me distance myself from them. Even if someone feels that way, wouldn't they have enough self-control to not say something so horrible?

--- End quote ---

yeah, that's an important point!

--- End quote ---

I have one particular co-worker who seems to have a trigger on the word 'cat' that makes him launch into awful descriptions of how he hates cats, wants to kick/hurt them, likes using them as target practice etc. I stopped talking to him almost entirely, since it certainly changed my perception of him, and I don't really feel like discovering other things that he hates and wants to rant about.

--- End quote ---

I wonder if a person could say, "I'm glad to know that about you. It shapes my opinion of you quite a bit. I like to be accurate in my impressions of other people's capability for cruelty."

--- End quote ---

I'm with both ladyknight and Toots on this one. 

While I'd love to be able to say "I don't find such talk helpful or kind." I feel as though this is inadequate.  People who make remarks like this aren't trying to be either.  While I don't normally assume that people are cruel by default rather than kind, I've been on the receiving end of enough cruel remarks in my life (and not just about my cats) that this is a natural conclusion for me.

When I hear things like this I don't cry; I get angry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version