Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Home- made Lemonade and Iced Tea

(1/4) > >>

mechtilde:
A big US doughnut chain has recently started opening stores near us, and I love their home-made lemonade.

How do I make lemonade at home? Or iced tea? We don't really make them here.

Thanks!

Layla Miller:
This is the recipe I use for lemonade.  It's more sweet than tart, so you may wish to play around with the amounts of sugar and/or lemon juice to suit yourself.  I just buy the lemon juice, but if you were so inclined you could buy lemons and juice them.

1-1/3 c sugar
1 c lemon juice
7 c water

In a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.

In pitcher, stir together chilled syrup, lemon juice and remaining 6 cups water.

Zilla:
The secret to iced tea for me anyhow is a pinch of baking soda.  It makes it sweeter and not needing as much sugar. 

It's based on taste so adjust sugar up or down.

1/2 cup of sugar
4 cups of water
pinch of baking soda

2 Quart pitcher, heat safe if not then a heat safe bowl that can hold 2 quarts of liquid.
enough tea bags for 2 quarts of tea. (it depends on what brand type you buy etc so look at the directions)

I boil in a saucepan the 4 cups of water and 1/2 cup of sugar along with the pinch of baking soda.  Stir.  As soon as it boils, remove from heat.  Let cool 5 minutes then add tea bags.  Let it steep for exactly 5 minutes on the timer.  Remove with slotted spoon and squeeze excess.  Pour into pitcher (or bowl) and fill with cool water till the full 2 quarts.  Serve with lots of ice.

Lemonade, I do 1/2 cup of sugar to 1/2 cup of fresh squeeze lemon juice in a 2 quart pitcher of water.  I don't boil but use room temperature water to dissolve the sugar.

Dalek:
What type of iced tea are you wanting to make? There's a ton of varieties in the US depending on the region. :-)

onyonryngs:
I found a good how to video: http://beverage-recipes.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-healthy-ice-tea-from-scratch-185308/ 

Here's the lemonade one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COx5Bf0PsQs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version