Author Topic: Need help with email response please  (Read 1179 times)

NyaChan

Need help with email response please
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:07:19 PM »
I have been job searching for a permanent position after I graduate.  Through some unexpected networking sources, I got an "in" on a Judge that was looking for a clerk and needed to have it done within a month.  I turned in my materials, and then sent another copy a week afterwards when my contact let me know the Judge had asked for a replacement for the first copy which was lost in a system crash.  I then received almost immediately an email that said: 

"We have received your resume, writing sample, and cover letter and we thank you for your interest in a law clerk position.  However, we are in need of a law clerk immediately.  We will keep your resume on file for future reference.  Thank you so very much for your interest."

So it turned out my contact had misunderstood that when the Judge said he need to find a law clerk soon, he meant he needed them to start immediately, not just hire them quickly for whatever reason (I just assumed there was a budget reason or a deadline).  I'm trying to respond now to indicate thankfulness and wish them luck on filling the position, but I'm not sure how to address the fact that I wasn't even eligible for the job (oops!).   

Anyone have any ideas?  I keep re-writing and deleting even though I know it isn't a big deal  :-[

Nebulous

Re: Need help with email response please
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
I tend to over-think things, too. In this case, think something short and to the point (similar to their communication with you) would be most appropriate. Something like:

"Thank you for your consideration.  I apologize for misunderstanding the start date. I appreciate your keeping my information on file and wish you the best in finding a clerk that can meet your needs."

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Need help with email response please
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »
I tend to over-think things, too. In this case, think something short and to the point (similar to their communication with you) would be most appropriate. Something like:

"Thank you for your consideration.  I apologize for misunderstanding the start date. I appreciate your keeping my information on file and wish you the best in finding a clerk that can meet your needs.

If the position isn't filled to your satisfaction, I will be able to start on Xdate. Is there a possibility to set up an interview in order for you to understand my full qualifications for future employment?"

I don't think that an apology for misunderstanding the start date is necessary.

Be proactive . . . ask for an interview appointment, even though the window sounds closed to you.