Author Topic: Work from home?  (Read 1187 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Work from home?
« on: January 10, 2013, 04:20:49 PM »
Does anyone know anything about finding jobs where I can work from home?  Data entry/transcribing is OK with me.  I need something I can do from home when I'm done with my other job for the day. 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Work from home?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »
I don't, sorry. The only advice I have is to be extremely wary of "work from home" schemes. Particularly anything that requires you to put up money. There are a lot of scams that take advantage of people who want the independence and extra income.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »
I don't, sorry. The only advice I have is to be extremely wary of "work from home" schemes. Particularly anything that requires you to put up money. There are a lot of scams that take advantage of people who want the independence and extra income.

That's mostly the reason I was asking here, in case people knew of legitimate ones.  I am wary of many of the ones I keep finding...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »
A friend of mine qualified as a medical transcriptionist.  I believe she took the coursework through a community college.
"We ate the pies."

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
A friend of mine qualified as a medical transcriptionist.  I believe she took the coursework through a community college.

This is what one of my relatives did, too. A local community college or continuing education center might be able to give you more info about legit options.
~Lynn2000

EMuir

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »
Go to your local "Kelly Services" or whatever they call it where you are: basically a place that finds part-time or short-term work for people.  They may have some opportunities that would allow you to work at home.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »
OP, I PM'd some info to you  :)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:54 AM »
Amazon's got this site called Mechanical Turk (https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome) where you get paid for completing (typically simple) tasks. Each task doesn't pay much, but if there's one where you can crank through a lot in a short time, it can add up. For example, there might be one where you Google a given search phrase, and give the requestor the URL of the most relevant result. There might be 3 or 4 phrases per task, at $0.10/task. Not much, but they go quick. Not necessarily great in the long term, but it might be good for a few extra bucks while you're getting other options going.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

magician5

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:15:13 AM »
I would expect that the most reliable and honest work opportunities might come through local temp agencies (are there transcription agencies?) ... never respond to "work from home, call 555-5555" ads.

Some people post notices on local college bulletin boards offering to type papers on a per-page fee. I understand they get a regular stream of business, especially at exam time, but the turnaround must be reliable and fast.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Kaypeep

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »
Check your area for telemarketing agencies.  Some do inbound calls and allow you to take the calls in your home.  You usually need to go to them first, though, for training.  And you need to make sure you have dedicated work area in your home, where you can work quite and uninterrupted.  (IE:  You can't be taking calls in your kitchen with the kids and dog running around, that kind of thing.)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
I've been mostly sleeping due to a quick change in work schedule that went quickly right back to my usual schedule.  Anyhow, I found one a clickworker.com and I am checking out a few others.  Thanks for the suggestions!

DollyPond

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »
Some larger companies will do technical services/customer service through representatives working out of their homes.  I'm not sure how to find those positions though.  Maybe contact companies in your field of expertise and just ask their HR department if anything like that exists?