Author Topic: Chuck roast, crock pot & mexican style  (Read 1278 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Chuck roast, crock pot & mexican style
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »
I've done chuck roast in the crock pot for Italian beef's before, where I cover the beef with water/broth & spices and the meat turns out tender, juicy and fork-shredable. It's usually about 8 hours on high.

I'd like to do a chuck roast mexican style (for burritos or tacos) but I don't think I'd need as much water, or is any liquid needed? 

Anyone have a great recipe to share for a chuck roast in the crock pot mexican style?

Thanks in advance! ;D

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Chuck roast, crock pot & mexican style
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:48 PM »
Yes you still need liquid.  I have never tried, but I bet a bit of beef or chicken stock and a jar of salsa or a few cans of rotel would be tasty. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
I use a about 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of Old El Paso Taco seasoning mix in the shaker can for each 2 lbs of roast. That stuff has chili powder and salt as the first 2 ingredients, so I think 1/2 of what the recipe on the can calls for is good.

I shred it while it is still cooking and let it sit for a bit. Drain but keep the broth to use to moisten.

Oh! My! I'm off to the store.................

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »
I've made this before, so yummy: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=97616.msg2384320#msg2384320
It's similar to the barbacoa from Chipotle

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:41 PM »
That looks utterly amazing.
How long do you freeze it?

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 12:12:54 AM »
I really like this website's recipes - all for the slow cooker.  This is the recipe for a chile verde:  http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/03/crockpot-chile-verde-recipe.html

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:35:13 AM »
That looks utterly amazing.
How long do you freeze it?
Just overnight's fine

bonyk

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »
Yes you still need liquid.  I have never tried, but I bet a bit of beef or chicken stock and a jar of salsa or a few cans of rotel would be tasty. 

I've done this.  Yummy and easy.

MrTango

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:21:21 AM »
For shredded beef in a crock pot, I will cover the meat with water and run the crock pot overnight the night before serving.  I will add some seasoning to the water, usually garlic, onion powder, and cinnamon.

Once the meat is fall-apart tender, I pour it into a strainer to get rid of the excess liquid.  Then, after shredding the meat, I put it back in the crock pot with whatever sauce/seasoning I'm using.