General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

When a customer really, really dislikes you...and won't shut up about it!

<< < (2/7) > >>

blueberry.muffin:
I really, really, really, REALLY hate blaming behavior on medical things...

... but I'm in the medical field, and your description of an "elderly lady" coupled with everything else is raising quite a few red flags for me. :(

If you're concerned about her welfare, and if you have the time, a quick call to Adult Protective Services might be a really good idea. They might be able to give you tips about how to work with (or avoid) her. It's not how she treats you that concerns me, though. How is she even getting to the post office? Is she driving? That would concern me more than anything else.

Kaypeep:
Kill her with kindness.  Give her a big Hello! when she comes in, and inform her that "co-worker" is also on duty to help her with any of her needs.  Do not ignore her or back down, but be proactively nice to her so she can't go into rant mode.  If she does, then just accept that she's batpoo crazy and can't be helped and don't take it so personally because no one else seems to, not even your boss.

RubyCat:

--- Quote from: blueberry.muffin on January 11, 2013, 08:07:08 AM ---I really, really, really, REALLY hate blaming behavior on medical things...

... but I'm in the medical field, and your description of an "elderly lady" coupled with everything else is raising quite a few red flags for me. :(

If you're concerned about her welfare, and if you have the time, a quick call to Adult Protective Services might be a really good idea. They might be able to give you tips about how to work with (or avoid) her. It's not how she treats you that concerns me, though. How is she even getting to the post office? Is she driving? That would concern me more than anything else.

--- End quote ---

I have to agree with this.  Went through something similar with an elderly relative. In my opinion, it would be a kindness to have somebody check in on her. 

cicero:

--- Quote from: Kaypeep on January 11, 2013, 08:09:23 AM ---Kill her with kindness.  Give her a big Hello! when she comes in, and inform her that "co-worker" is also on duty to help her with any of her needs.  Do not ignore her or back down, but be proactively nice to her so she can't go into rant mode.  If she does, then just accept that she's batpoo crazy and can't be helped and don't take it so personally because no one else seems to, not even your boss.

--- End quote ---
yup.

and sorry you had to deal with this

cookiehappy:
This could be a case of dementia setting in (or having set in already).  Some older people may seem offensive or horribly cantankerous, but it could be dementia.  Either way, you handled the situation professionally and with sublime patience.

People will look at her badly, not you.

Next time, when you see her coming, take a deep breath and put on your biggest smile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version