Author Topic: Would this scenario be frowned upon/seen as unprofessional?  (Read 6074 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Would this scenario be frowned upon/seen as unprofessional?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
I agree with PP that there is absolutely no impropriety in what you've described. I also agree that there will be gossip. The question is, do the student and professor want to have their lives dictated by a bunch of small-minded fools or not?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Jocelyn

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
 The ethical concern is using an unequal relationship for personal benefit (aside from charging a fee for your professional services). It is unethical for a professor to date a student because of the inherent power differential in the situation. Professors have an ethical obligation to act in the student's best interests, not in their own.
However, in all professions, junior colleagues grow up. Students become full-fledged colleagues and work alongside their former instructors. A nursing professor might find herself supervising clinicals in a hospital where the head nurse on the unit or the director of nursing is a former student, and they now have a mutual collegial relationship, not the unequal one of professor-student.
Since the student is not currently, and will not be in the future, a student of the professor, they can socialize ethically. However, I ran into some sticky situations when I moved from teaching undergrads to grad students, because former students (who had been working in the field, and whom I'd been treating as colleagues) started applying to the grad school where I taught. It was sort of awkward having to switch back to treating them as my students rather than as friends and colleagues, but we survived.  ::) And most of the former students were such hard workers and good students that there wasn't an issue of 'you gave her an A because she's your friend'.

But dating an undergraduate who took a class from me? That still feels squicky, until they graduate, as they may still 'need' me to be their professor. Letters of reference are only part of it; they may need mentoring and career guidance that they would naturally have the right to ask of a professor.

The couples I've heard gossiped about in academia are always of the 'turn in the grades, phone the student for a date' type. If the student's graduated, gone on to grad school, and then renews a professional relationship with a former professor, which leads to romance...no, not remarkable at all.

Promise

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »
Look, people will talk. They always do. If nothing happened when student was the student with the professor then their conscious is clean. There is nothing wrong. I had the opposite awkward position. I dated a young man when I was a freshman for a short period of time. Nice guy, but no real chemistry. Fast forward three years. I got married between my junior and senior year. I took a computer class my senior year and my professor is the guy I used to date! I was the only one who knew but it was still awkward.