Author Topic: My Christmas card mystery  (Read 594 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
My Christmas card mystery
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
No real etiquette question here, but thought it might be fun to speculate about!

A little BG - one of my uncles, Uncle K, has always a very distant part of the family.  I met him once, when I was a kid, and he said maybe two sentences to me, and that was it.  He talks to my grandparents fairly often, and has come out to see the rest of the family a couple of times when I wasn't able to make it.

Guess who I got a Christmas card from this year?!  You guessed it, my Uncle K and his family.  I don't know that I'd consider that too odd, except that no one else in my family got a card from him.  Not my parents, aunts, uncles, or grandparents.  I am, apparently, the only one in the family that he sent a card to.  It's so weird!  I have no idea why he would send me a card and nobody else.  I think my grandparents were even hurt that he would send me a card and not them. 

Any ideas why I would be the happy recipient, and not any of the people in my family he's closer to (like his parents or siblings)?

yokozbornak

Re: My Christmas card mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »
Maybe the other cards got lost in the mail.  Or maybe he has a special memory about when he met you and was having a moment of nostalgia.

Last year, I received a card signed "Betty" with no return address.  I know no one by this name so I was a little weirded out.  I mentioned it to a friend of mine, and she, too, had received a card from the same person.  We wracked our brains and still couldn't figure out who the card came from.  I mentally thanked Betty for sending me some Christmas cheer even though I had no idea who she is.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »
Maybe someone helped him do the cards this year and his address book listed you as "Lady Snowdon (niece)" and the other person assumed he'd want to send you a card. Other relatives probably wouldn't have the distinction because he'd know who they were, being that he speaks to them frequently.

bonyk

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »
Do you have a different last name than the rest of your family?  Maybe he saw your name and couldn't remember who you are, but decided to send you a card in case you were a 'must-send'?