Author Topic: A stranger's advice at the home improvement store  (Read 2659 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: A stranger's advice at the home improvement store
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 01:37:11 PM »
I have seen this done (and done it myself) in clothing stores--said to someone who was wondering at the mirror how a skirt fit, etc., "It really makes you look slim," or "if you love it, you could get a tailor to tweak it here, and that problem you mentioned would totally go away." Or, "the other dress set off you skin color better, I think."

Again, politeness and consideration are important, as is the fact that there's an audible conversation going on. Other than perhaps saying, "wow, that looks *really* great on you!"  don't butt in at the clothing store unless a conversation is already going on.

I also think you need to always keep in mind that you're the onlooker, and not inside the inner circle. So lingering or expanding the conversation isn't polite.

AnnaJ

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
Did I just meet you last week at the tool section of Lowe's?  ;D

Actually met a customer who gave me some great advise about buying a hammer drill vs regular drill, and why the former was better for the needs of my house, loved it.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »
I'd have been totally appreciate of your advice, and have always genuinely thanked anyone who offered their perspective on home improvement stuff when I was trying to make a decision.

In that vein...we're soon going to be replacing our builder grade kitchen sink & faucet with a nicer stainless sink & pot filler-style faucet. Any reccomendations?  ;D

Miss Bee

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
I don't think you even stuck the tip of your big toe into E-Hell.  You gave helpful advice.  Granted, it was unsolcited, but in this case, you may have saved some family harmony as well.  You didnt admonish anyone for their choices, you just matter-of-factly told them your experience with the lights.  I can't see how your interjecting could have been seen as anything but helpful, whether or not they took your advice. 

andi

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
Whew - I'm glad everyone is saying  this was ok cause i have a tendency to do this at certain store / places where I have some experience and I think most people are appreciative of someone with experience that does speak up in those circumstances.  For me me it was the wonderful lady at the fabric store that helped me out since all the people who work thee intimidate me

sevenday

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »
The only way I can think of for the OP's comment to be rude would be if you said "Oh no, nono, that was a stupid decision to make.  You're stupid, don't you know you can just turn them around??" It's all in the wording.  I have both given and received home improvement info in Home Depot before, so... (gave versus quality of sink fittings, received info on plant types)  Many people in home improvement stores have experienced some home situation that resulted in "wow I wish I had known that before."  So when they catch someone in a likely situation, it's hard not to say "I see you're looking at X. Did you know...."  sometimes it might actually fix the problem before they know they have one!