Author Topic: individual or group thank you notes for gift from group  (Read 1011 times)

pearls n purls

individual or group thank you notes for gift from group
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »
I was given a gift from several people at my office.  Should I write an individual thank you note to all of them or can I write a thank you note to the group and post it in our common area?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: individual or group thank you notes for gift from group
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
I was given a gift from several people at my office.  Should I write an individual thank you note to all of them or can I write a thank you note to the group and post it in our common area?

I like individual notes. It's more personal.

bonyk

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:00:01 PM »
How many is several?  How many people didn't contribute to the gift?  I feel like it would be odd to post a thank you note in a common area unless almost everybody who uses that area contributes.

pearls n purls

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »
About 15 people contributed to the group gift, three people gave me individual gifts and three people didn't contribute. 

bonyk

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »
About 15 people contributed to the group gift, three people gave me individual gifts and three people didn't contribute. 

In that case, I think you could post a note and maybe bring in a dish of candy to thank your co-workers.

pearls n purls

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »
I like that idea.  Thanks!

In that case, I think you could post a note and maybe bring in a dish of candy to thank your co-workers.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
Individual notes to the 3 people who gave you individual gifts.  A group note to the group that contributed, posted in the breakroom with some treat, if you are so inclined.  The treats aren't necessary.  If the three who didn't contribute didn't even sign the card, you don't need to include their names on the group note.  But if they did sign the card, I would put their names on your note.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 10:41:25 AM »
This is quirky, but it was the way things were done in offices when when we were married.

This was before the days of computers but typewriters were ubiquitous. 

A thank you note was written for the group gift.  The recipient of the gift bought a piece of very wide ribbon and typed the name of each one who contributed on it.  The note, with the ribbon attached, was then circulated. 

It was a little festive and each person did receive an individual note, if only briefly.