Author Topic: UK from Canada...what gifts to bring?  (Read 2717 times)

snugasabug

UK from Canada...what gifts to bring?
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »
My husband is going to the UK on business. What are some things he can bring over for the office?

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: UK from Canada...what gifts to bring?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
Maple candies- we can't get them for love nor money here! Which is odd because we can get quite a variety of maple syrup.
NE England

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
Maple candies- we can't get them for love nor money here! Which is odd because we can get quite a variety of maple syrup.

I was just going to say that!

veryfluffy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
Turtles. Please bring Turtles!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
My staple gift for those outside of Canada is real Maple syrup.  You can get gift packs of them with several smaller bottles in the pack, then disperse as needed.

snugasabug

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 10:00:59 PM »
Awesome!!!

What about Bath Body Works stuff for a family friend? Is that avail in the UK?  He also has some Maple Leaf Cookies...Coffee Crisp....Tim Hortons Coffee.....Will add turtles and maple syrup candies if I can find them! LOL

Keep the ideas coming!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »
Awesome!!!

What about Bath Body Works stuff for a family friend? Is that avail in the UK?  He also has some Maple Leaf Cookies...Coffee Crisp....Tim Hortons Coffee.....Will add turtles and maple syrup candies if I can find them! LOL

Keep the ideas coming!

They have Body Shop in the UK, so BBW probably isn't that special.  When he is flying out, he can get some good deals from the Duty free on traditionally Canadian items. 

Rohanna

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »
When we've been there, the little maple leaf/flag pins have been popular- I've seen them at Walmart and the Dollarama.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
Lucky Charms!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »

Please, please say you mean the pecan, caramel and chocolate confections! 

I can just see a Canadian trying to bring a crate of living reptiles into the UK. 

veryfluffy

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »

Please, please say you mean the pecan, caramel and chocolate confections! 

I can just see a Canadian trying to bring a crate of living reptiles into the UK.

Yes, the confections. If you can find them here at all, they are about 5 x the price -- and they are the most wonderful goody.

Re maple syrup: it's actually very easy to buy Canadian maple syrup here in the supermarket, plus most people don't know what to do with it anyway. Some people like the maple candies, but it's more as a novelty than something wonderful.

Now if there was a way of bring fresh Tim Hortons donuts or Montreal bagels...

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 10:14:51 AM »
Useful information.  We are visiting friends in Liverpool in April. Thank you, OP for asking, and others for responding.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Snooks

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
Tim Hortons coffee would be my first choice.  As others have said, maple candy etc. really depends on the people receiving them, for a large office it's probably a good idea because everyone can try one and those who really like them can finish them.  When Canadian family visited us when I was a teenager they bought me Roots perfume which I love and now have to work out how to get whenever I finish a bottle.  The last bottle I bought on my honeymoon at Epcot!

ETA: Just looked on their website and it looks like they don't make it anymore.  I'm going to have to find a new scent :(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:05:55 AM by Snooks »

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
Eiswein, or the 'champagne' made with Eiswein.

Is there such as thing as Canadian premium whiskey? The only Canadian whiskey I've seen here is cheap rye.

Moose or salmon jerky.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
Is there such as thing as Canadian premium whiskey? The only Canadian whiskey I've seen here is cheap rye.

Crown Royal.  And to combine two suggestions, they've now come out with a maple flavoured Crown Royal.  I haven't tried it yet, though.

But I thought that taking whiskey to the UK was kind of like taking snow to the Arctic.   ;)

If alcohol is OK to take, maybe some ice wine?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario