Author Topic: Please stop it  (Read 6932 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: Please stop it
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
My mother makes the same joke (not about a movie, more like an imitation of a personality she sees on the news) and I never actually did think it was funny, even when it was new for her. I've tried everything: ignoring and bean-dipping, carrying on with, "yeah, well anyways....", confronting her with "That's getting old", "That really never was all that funny..." and "Yes, you said before....bean dip." Nothing works, she keeps doing it, thinks it's funny, and gets offended when I tell her it's not. So I've concluded there is nothing you can do.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:20 AM »
Oh my.
I thought of this thread recently when I noticed a relative (in her 50s) does the Psy “Gangnum Style” moves when she’s around younger nieces and nephews AND their friends.  I see lots of  ::) ::) , blank looks, and a few pursed lips trying not to laugh AT her.

I have to confess, I chased my husband around a mall in Springfield doing this dance when the song came over the PA system. He walked faster... I chased faster. People were laughing, and that's all I was going for. I also have a picture of a train running me over at that mall. It was a good trip =)
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Oh my.
I thought of this thread recently when I noticed a relative (in her 50s) does the Psy “Gangnum Style” moves when she’s around younger nieces and nephews AND their friends.  I see lots of  ::) ::) , blank looks, and a few pursed lips trying not to laugh AT her.

I have to confess, I chased my husband around a mall in Springfield doing this dance when the song came over the PA system. He walked faster... I chased faster. People were laughing, and that's all I was going for. I also have a picture of a train running me over at that mall. It was a good trip =)

Now that is hilarious!  I would love to go shopping with you! :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »
LOL! I would do that to my DH too!

And it is kind of sad that there are 6 movies and she's stuck on that one joke.  She could at least throw in a good Wookie joke now and then. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
Eh, see, my dad used to try and embarrass me in public sometimes--not just by being himself and doing something natural that embarrassed me (oh, the teen years) but actively drawing attention to us, like by bursting into song or something. That made me really angry. And of course, telling him it made me angry didn't help. Once he was waiting for me somewhere, and when he saw me he started singing, loudly. And I just walked right on by and went to my destination without even looking at him. I felt horrible afterward, but like it had to be done. And I have to say, that was the last time he pulled that stunt.

I'm not sure if you feel your sister's jokes are quite on that same level or not. But walking away like you don't know her, or alternatively a complete and utter non-reaction, not even looking at her, might take some of the fun out of it for her. And really, it seems like she's had her fun, and is now just moving on to embarrassing herself and whoever she's with, and making life a touch more difficult for total strangers (like the waitress).
~Lynn2000

Take2

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »
It sounds like this sister has multiple problems. One is that she is stuck on one joke from one movie, which is driving her co-workers and family and boyfriend insane. Because that is annoying, not funny.

But the other is that she has NO idea about appropriate context for joking in general. Yelling ANY joke at a police officer in the middle of an arrest is horrible timing, even if the joke is extremely funny. Trying to rope a waitress into a joke about the personal interests of her total stranger customer is rude, no matter what the topic.

It makes me wonder, really. Is inappropriate behavior new for this sister? I know the Star Wars obsession is new, but did she interact appropriately before this obsession? Because this level of missing social cues, I have not run across adults who have this much trouble except for a couple of people I know who are on the autism spectrum. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
LOL! I would do that to my DH too!

And it is kind of sad that there are 6 movies and she's stuck on that one joke.  She could at least throw in a good Wookie joke now and then.

Is she just doing one joke?  I thought she was making many references from all the movies. ???  If it's just one joke, I can't decide if that's more annoying or less.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »
DH has a habit of vocalizing any random craziness that happens to pop into his brain.  It surfaces at the most inopportune moments.  I will either walk away from him (if we're in public) or give him a flat expression followed by a simple "Hmmm."  It seems to pull him back to reality.  Your sister seems to like getting a reaction, from either you or anyone else.  Don't give her what she wants and she may back off.

Dalek

• Am not amused!
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys!!!! I get she really loves Star Wars and is not doing it out of malice. I'm a Doctor Who fan myself and rarely use quotes from the show with the exception of my profile name.  ;)
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys!!!! I get she really loves Star Wars and is not doing it out of malice. I'm a Doctor Who fan myself and rarely use quotes from the show with the exception of my profile name.  ;)

Hah! Your Who-isms are always welcome with us in the Dr. Who thread!!

Yankeegal77

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »
Personally, I LOVE a good esoteric movie reference and am 100% guilty of it myself. In addition to constant Office Space references, I like to toss in a few zingers from Real Genius. But the key is to know your audience.

While Star Wars has been around for over 30 years and everyone knows the title, not everyone is going to have seen the movies or get it. I really think that a gentle conversation with your sister about *why* it's annoying, including that a lot of strangers might now get the jokes.

And I'm not kidding when I say this could be done intervention-style. It sounds that bad. You had me cringing with the cop part. Gahhh...

I guarantee she will grow out of this or at least make less frequent references. So, at your conversation/intervention (still not kidding!) I would make the following steam vent suggestions:

1. That she make Facebook memes. There are already a million of them, but she might have fun with it!
2. Silk screen some shirts with these memes.
3. Start a Facebook group or join an online forum for fans.

Or...find a more current franchise she can become obsessed with. Since Dr. Who has a pretty large current fan base, at least any references would have more of a chance to be understood.

When she makes comments, walk away, change the subject, anything to...feed not maker of quotes. ;)

I hope this works out for you!