Author Topic: hypothetical: accidental exploitation  (Read 1183 times)

Dr. F.

hypothetical: accidental exploitation
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
So, this didn't really happen outside of a dream last night, but it raised and interesting question for me.

In my dream, I was attending a destination wedding in an area I often work. I decided to tack on some work after the wedding (several people I work with were also attending the wedding).

At this wedding, they had an open sandwich bar (dream, remember?), where you could go up and order a sandwich during the reception. I went up and ordered a chicken sandwich, thinking it was finger-food size. The chef asked me several times, "Are you suuuure you want a chicken sandwich? Are your table-mates OK with that?" (My tablemates were the coworkers above, several of which are vegetarian.) I said, yes, I want a chicken sandwich. The chef said, "OK, it'll take me 5 minutes. I'll bring it to your table."

Sure enough, 5 minutes later, he brings over this HUGE sub-type sandwich for 8 people. I'm shocked and say I didn't expect it to be that big. The chef says that I should have known. Well, there was no way I could eat that much, so decide to bring it to do work the next day.

Several people at the wedding then accuse me of exploiting the HC and wedding to provide food for work. I respond that I had no idea the sandwich was that big, and would it be better to throw it away and waste it rather than use it? They respond yes, yes it would be better to waste it that have the appearance of impropriety.

Then the dream went off into other strange channels where I lost my luggage and the flight was delayed because the pilot forgot there was a large mountain in the way.

So, what do you think? Throw away to avoid the appearance of impropriety, or use and be accused of exploiting someone?

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
Re: hypothetical: accidental exploitation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:49:49 PM »
Since it was a dream, you should have turned it into a teapot and had a tea party! Then no one would be mad. :P

Seriously though, if someone was grumping about choosing not to waste perfectly good food, then that issue is all on them.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS