Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

"No Ties, No Jeans" notation on invitation

<< < (2/26) > >>

NyaChan:
I actually don't think it is odd - it is very helpful.  If I saw casual, I would think I could wear jeans.  Even if there is dancing and dinner at a downtown hotel, it doesn't necessarily follow that the event isn't jean-appropriate.  What she wrote makes the dress level clear in a concise fashion.

Yvaine:
Yeah, I'm going to agree with PPs. It doesn't read like micromanaging to me--it feels like they're specifying a "range" of dressiness and it would actually be pretty helpful. Otherwise people might default either to too fancy or too casual. They're saying "dressier than jeans, but not so dressy you need to wear a tie."

Cat-Fu:
Yeah, I get that it's technically rude, but with some families it is easier to just put it on the invitation than to single out (and likely offend) the likely culprit. I've seen it often enough where people can't (or won't) figure out what the dress code should be, and just wear whatever. I also don't really see it as micromanaging; there is a pretty wide range between no jeans and no tie!

NyaChan:

--- Quote from: Cat-Fu on January 12, 2013, 01:36:38 PM ---Yeah, I get that it's technically rude, but with some families it is easier to just put it on the invitation than to single out (and likely offend) the likely culprit. I've seen it often enough where people can't (or won't) figure out what the dress code should be, and just wear whatever. I also don't really see it as micromanaging; there is a pretty wide range between no jeans and no tie!

--- End quote ---

Why is it rude at all?

Lynnv:

--- Quote from: NyaChan on January 12, 2013, 01:22:34 PM ---I actually don't think it is odd - it is very helpful.  If I saw casual, I would think I could wear jeans.  Even if there is dancing and dinner at a downtown hotel, it doesn't necessarily follow that the event isn't jean-appropriate.  What she wrote makes the dress level clear in a concise fashion.

--- End quote ---

Me too.  Casual dress would say to me that jeans were ok.  This gives me a clear guideline without trying to micromanage. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version