General Etiquette > Life...in general

Thermostat Setting

<< < (16/16)

Figgie:
When it is below zero, the house walls radiate cold air and the drafts manage to get through.  Which makes it feel colder than the 68 degrees that I keep our thermostat set at.  We handle it by dressing warmly and drinking lots of hot tea during the winter heating season.

In the summer, there aren't the cold drafts and we have ceiling fans to circulate the air, which helps people feel cooler.  The thermostat is set at 78 degrees because it is really expensive to cool it down any more than that.  Again, we handle it by dressing appropriately and drinking cold drinks.

Since we aren't made of money :) we tend to set the thermostat based on a judgement of relative comfort along with how much it costs to heat or cool our home.  I find that we do acclimate, but it can take a couple of weeks.

When we have guests, I ask about their comfort and do the best that I can to adjust the heat/cooling to their preferences.  Which means that if after adjusting the temperature inside our home to the best of my ability, people are still too warm or too cool (which can happen whether it is hot or cold outside)  :)  I then offer fans, blankets and hot or cold beverages depending on the individual guests preferences.

All we can do is the best that we can. :)  I always ask people if they are comfortable, which I think is part of being a good host.  I can't adjust things if I don't know there is a problem after all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version