Author Topic: Go ahead, toss your TRASH here  (Read 2334 times)

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
Go ahead, toss your TRASH here
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
I just came back from getting my mail.  I had to put my work gloves on because the other reason I went out front was to pick up trash that someone had thrown out their car window  >:( >:( >:( – it was the usual – a white McDonald’s bag and the remains of a big white cup of some drink with ice.  Ugh.  Once in a while they add a little variety – like a beer can.  Nice. ::)

When I look out and see things like that on the lawn, it bugs the you-know-what out of me until I go out and pick it up.  Then I look around and I don’t see trash in any of the neighbor’s front yards.  So, I check to make sure there’s not a sign “Go ahead, just toss your TRASH here!!”.  :-\

And I’m not sure there is anything I can do about it – like what? – put on my running shoes and try to catch them?  Too late, they’re gone.

But I swear, if I am out and see someone tossing trash like that I’m going to get their license plate # and file a report.  This is much more than a cigarette butt or gum wrapper on the sidewalk.

Has anyone ever done that (filed a complaint when you know who threw trash in someone's yard)?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:32:49 PM by oceanus »

otterwoman

Re: Go ahead, toss your TRASH here
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »
My dad once found the bag of trash on the side of his road and was so annoyed that he drove it about 10 miles back to the persons house. He had found mail with the address in it.

Alpacas

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
I did file a report on my new " neighbors " but not because of  trash.

Story 1)
A year ago i had a view of a tiny park across from my apartment building until the Film-school moved out and a theatre build their Backdrop and Prop Hall.
Once it was finished and everything was installed, they left the lights on for 17 consecutive days. I think they expected the timer to switch it off, but it didn't.
I wouldn't have minded if that hall didn't have the windows right at the top of the walls, at the height of the lamps. So the windows kind of worked like giant lamps that hit the side of our building.
After 17 days of not catching anyone of the people working there to tell them (I left to early, and returned to late) and not knowing what company was in that hall I wrote our local "emission agency" a complaint email and sent a few pictures that i took at midnight.
Two days later the lights were off and i could finally sleep again without being able to read a book in the "darkness".

Story 2)
My friend filed a complaint against her neighbor after she caught the old lady throwing trash in a small stream that passed their buildings.
Apparently the lady was angry with the people just leaving the trash outside to "catch fire during the fireworks"

oceanus

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »
My dad once found the bag of trash on the side of his road and was so annoyed that he drove it about 10 miles back to the persons house. He had found mail with the address in it.

I LOVE IT!    ;D ;)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »
On a freeway, I once called 411 to report a car in front of us throwing out trash and gave the license plate number.  Don't know if anythingy occurred.

oceanus

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
On a freeway, I once called 411 to report a car in front of us throwing out trash and gave the license plate number.  Don't know if anythingy occurred.

You mean 911?   :)

I do know that sometimes they contact people who are reported for various reasons.  I know someone who was harassing a driver and he got a call from the police after the driver filed a complaint.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »

You mean 911?   :)

I do know that sometimes they contact people who are reported for various reasons.  I know someone who was harassing a driver and he got a call from the police after the driver filed a complaint.

Different numbers for different countries?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »
Calling 911 over trash might make the operators just a touch grumpy. ;) For many areas 411 is the nonemergency police number. I suppose they might be interested in hearing about littering, but I'd wager that thy can't really do anything unless a police officer witnesses it.

Your neighbors are probably getting trash in their lawns as well, I bet, and are just cleaning it up when you're not there to see.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

oceanus

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:19 PM »
Calling 911 over trash might make the operators just a touch grumpy. ;) For many areas 411 is the nonemergency police number. I suppose they might be interested in hearing about littering, but I'd wager that thy can't really do anything unless a police officer witnesses it.

Your neighbors are probably getting trash in their lawns as well, I bet, and are just cleaning it up when you're not there to see.

Thanks, I didn't realize that (about the non-emergency numbers).

And you're right, I'm sure others are also getting 'dumped on'.  Sometimes the dastardly deed is done during the wee hours and I wake up to a not-so-pretty view.  Once someone threw an empty whiskey bottle, a huge McDonald's bag and a dirty pamper.  eeww. :(

bloo

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »

That level of dedication is very impressive to me!  ;D

Of course, if it fell out of a passing truck, the homeowner might be scratching his head over how the bag grew legs and came back! :o