Author Topic: Polite response to unwanted email?  (Read 11407 times)

buvezdevin

Re: Polite response to unwanted email?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
Dear Aunt Fern,

You clearly put a great deal of thought into your email, which was undoubtedly well meant.  Unfortunately, none of the information you provided is relevant to opportunities we are pursuing, nor to the reasons we are pursuing them.  We do appreciate your well wishes as we continue!

Regards,
GSNW

*Optional* P.S. of course, should we eventually go to Country A, we will be delighted to send you the details as personally experienced, to round out your supply of travel related monologues!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »
^  I like this one.  It lets her know that you think she is a busybody and needs to mind her own business.  Politely.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
It doesn't really matter what she emails or says, but you don't want to burn bridges. It will be easiest if you just send an email back and then forget about her.

Dear Fern,

Thanks for email. It sounds like you had a great time in country B. We'll let you know if we have any other questions about visiting country B.

Love

I really like this version! I think it's great because it doesn't give Fern the opportunity to argue and further blow hot air about Country B.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Alpacas

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »
Dear Aunt Fern,

You clearly put a great deal of thought into your email, which was undoubtedly well meant.  Unfortunately, none of the information you provided is relevant to opportunities we are pursuing, nor to the reasons we are pursuing them.  We do appreciate your well wishes as we continue!

Regards,
GSNW

*Optional* P.S. of course, should we eventually go to Country A, we will be delighted to send you the details as personally experienced, to round out your supply of travel related monologues!

Love this one, for the same reason as Outdoor Girl

Betelnut

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
There is a certain person at my work who emails rude, condescending and intrusive instructions/advise/opinions to me and others at my work.  I usually reply:

XXX:

Thanks for your input!

Betelnut
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »
Dear Aunt Fern,

We did receive the email that you sent to us the other day regarding the possibility of us moving to Country A.  I'm not sure what information you were trying to give us, since your email focused on Country B, not Country A, and the jobs we are applying for are in Country A.  We'll be sure to let you know if we need any help at a later date. 

Love,

GNSW

Possibly too cold, but I would be really irritated by this person telling me what I should be doing. 

My grandmother has a similar habit, of giving opinions regarding certain nationalities, except that her opinions were all formed in the 1970's and 1980's, so a lot of it isn't relevant anymore.  For example, she lived in Berlin, Germany while the Berlin Wall was up, and her view of German society is based on that very fractured viewpoint.  I disregard almost everything she says regarding "all Germans", due to that. 

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 08:28:45 PM »
Maybe I'm being petty, but it would stick in my craw to say "thanks" in any way, shape, or form to this woman.  You received the email, you read the email, you want to acknowledge the email (to shut her up).  But the email was not written with kindness or concern for you, so gratitude is not called for, to say the least.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

bonyk

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »
Maybe I'm being petty, but it would stick in my craw to say "thanks" in any way, shape, or form to this woman.  You received the email, you read the email, you want to acknowledge the email (to shut her up).  But the email was not written with kindness or concern for you, so gratitude is not called for, to say the least.

I agree with this.  I couldn't thank someone for being completely overbearing.  I would say something like, "I got your email, but it wasn't really relevant for us.  See you at the next family gathering!"

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
Dear Aunt Fern,

Unfortunately, living in Country B is not an option as the commute would be far too long.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 09:53:28 PM »
OP, I think your own email is fine, although I enjoyed reading some of the others.

(Whew. Fern sounds like a real piece of work, btw   ::)  )

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »
I don't think I'd reply to her email at all.  I'd just delete it and go on with my life.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 11:39:35 PM »

I agree with this.  I couldn't thank someone for being completely overbearing.  I would say something like, "I got your email, but it wasn't really relevant for us.  See you at the next family gathering!"

You're not being petty at all CrazyDaffodilLady - I had the exact same reaction!

Personally, I'd completely ignore the email, and all the texts from people demanding a follow up.  However, if you really, truly, honestly feel a reply is warranted (and I don't think it is), then I like bonyk's response the best.

If anyone, including Aunt Fern, mentions it to you verbally, I'd just get a puzzled look on my face and say,"'yes, I'm not sure why she/you sent that.  Everyone knows we're investigating Country A, not Country B.  Fern/You must have gotten confused".  Then beandip. (Or maybe even email that response to her).

Lauds

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 12:18:29 AM »
It doesn't really matter what she emails or says, but you don't want to burn bridges. It will be easiest if you just send an email back and then forget about her.

Dear Fern,

Thanks for email. It sounds like you had a great time in country B. We'll let you know if we have any other questions about visiting country B.

Love

I really like this version! I think it's great because it doesn't give Fern the opportunity to argue and further blow hot air about Country B.

I like this too, but the OP's email is good too.

Really, the aim of the response is to shut Fern up and shut any arguments down. So I wouldn't mention country A - she'll just fire off another email. And once you've replied try and block her email address completely!

kudeebee

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 12:38:56 AM »

Dear Fern,

Love

I would use this but leave out the first line. I would not thank her or she may think what she did was helpful and send more emails.  Or, substitute " I read your email on country b." for the first line.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 06:34:56 AM »
Dear Aunt Fern,

Regards,
GSNW

Love this one, for the same reason as Outdoor Girl

This is my favourite as well. Not the least because it actually doesn't thank her for the email.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice