Author Topic: Polite response to unwanted email?  (Read 11888 times)

Snooks

Re: Polite response to unwanted email?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 06:48:37 AM »
I think either or these are fine.

Dear Aunt Fern,

You clearly put a great deal of thought into your email, which was undoubtedly well meant.  Unfortunately, none of the information you provided is relevant to opportunities we are pursuing, nor to the reasons we are pursuing them.  We do appreciate your well wishes as we continue!

Regards,
GSNW

*Optional* P.S. of course, should we eventually go to Country A, we will be delighted to send you the details as personally experienced, to round out your supply of travel related monologues!

Dear Aunt Fern,

We did receive the email that you sent to us the other day regarding the possibility of us moving to Country A.  I'm not sure what information you were trying to give us, since your email focused on Country B, not Country A, and the jobs we are applying for are in Country A.  We'll be sure to let you know if we need any help at a later date. 

Love,

GNSW

LazyDaisy

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »
I think either or these are fine.

Dear Aunt Fern,

You clearly put a great deal of thought into your email, which was undoubtedly well meant.  Unfortunately, none of the information you provided is relevant to opportunities we are pursuing, nor to the reasons we are pursuing them.  We do appreciate your well wishes as we continue!

Regards,
GSNW

*Optional* P.S. of course, should we eventually go to Country A, we will be delighted to send you the details as personally experienced, to round out your supply of travel related monologues!

Dear Aunt Fern,

We did receive the email that you sent to us the other day regarding the possibility of us moving to Country A.  I'm not sure what information you were trying to give us, since your email focused on Country B, not Country A, and the jobs we are applying for are in Country A.  We'll be sure to let you know if we need any help at a later date. 

Love,

GNSW

I'd go with the first option in this. The second one leaves an opening for her to AGAIN explain why Country B is a superior choice and why you should be applying for jobs there. The first leaves no opening for her to argue her point and like a previous poster says, puts her on polite notice that her interference is not welcome. Be prepared for a pouty "well, I was only trying to help" at which point you keep repeating, "we appreciate your concern, but we're going with country A."
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »
Dear Aunt Fern

How kind of you to take an interest.  See you soon!

GSNW

snappylt

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »
{snip}...

Here is the email I am tinkering with in reply.

Dear Fern,
Thank you for your concern in this matter.  I can tell you learned a lot about X culture during your time in Country B.  You have given DH and I lot of good information.

Love,
Me.

... {snip}

I think your own idea of a reply is fine (although, I, too, enjoyed reading the many suggestions here).  I like the way you have not started a discussion with her, because the topic is not open for discussion (with her, anyway)!  You've been polite so you can hold your head up that you've taken the high road, and now you'll be able to say you've replied.

I'll bet you'll hear more, though, because I'll bet she won't be able to stand it that you've not directly addressed her points.  (After all, she is an expert!)  So, I'll bet you'll get to practice other polite bean-dipping sorts of tactics when she follows up.  (Hope I'm wrong!)

Good luck on this all.

GSNW

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »
Here is the reply I have just sent:

Hi Aunt Fern,

Yes, I am aware of the things you mentioned about living in Country A.  However, the company we are applying with only operates in Country A, so Country B is not going to be possible except, perhaps, for a visit.  We are very definite in our choice of this particular company, most notably, their great record and reputation among their expat work force.

(I did go on at this point to discuss some other things DH and I have on the horizon, more or less to soften the blow of rejecting her expertise, but none of those things are pertinent to the issue of our potential move).

Love, GSNW

ladymaureen

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:24 PM »
I think that was a great response -- good job.
I am fairly sure I know which company you are speaking of, as well as what countries are A and B. I wish you the very best of luck with the application!

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
Good work!  I can't wait for Fern to reply.(....so you can come and tell us all about it! :cough: :cough:)>:D

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »
Good work!  I can't wait for Fern to reply.(....so you can come and tell us all about it! :cough: :cough:)>:D

pod   ;D
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

joraemi

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »
Did Fern reply??

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »
What I found most irritating is Fern's insistence that you HAD to acknowledge her very important email (VIE!).  Talk about being full of yourself: Fern will not be ignored!
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Mikayla

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
Fern has never been to Country A, tourist visas aren't granted for that location except in circumstances that don't apply to Fern. 

I agree updates will be interesting, but this really struck me.  It's probably killing her that you're going to one of the few places she can't.

chibichan

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 12:53:02 AM »
^^ HAHAHA!

I think Mikayla has a good point...she's probably about to burst into flames at the idea you're going someplace she can't. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

GSNW

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 02:17:27 AM »
Funny enough, Fern did not see fit to reply!  Another funny thing about the email... she concluded with, "and Maggie really thought I should tell you all of this," Maggie being my mom's younger sister.  Maggie is one of those awesome, wonderful, fairy godmother type aunts and we have always been incredibly close.  I talked to Maggie after I replied and we had a chuckle because she did not, in any way, endorse the email. 

That fern meme made me snortylaugh.  It really is perfect.  Maybe now Fern can concentrate on cajoling her own child to come home - my cousin and his wife are currently teaching in his birth country and have just re-upped for two more years because they love it so much!  Fern disapproves.

joraemi

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 04:03:38 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Since she didn't see fit to reply, maybe that means she won't bother you on this topic anymore!