Author Topic: How do you relieve anxiety?  (Read 1059 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
How do you relieve anxiety?
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
Does anybody have any good web sites or information for mind calming or other techniques used to relieve anxiety?

AstiTheWestie

Re: How do you relieve anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
I use yoga and/or meditation tapes I check out from the library.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »
You may want to look into getting advice from someone professional IRL. Anxiety can be complicated.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »
You may want to look into getting advice from someone professional IRL. Anxiety can be complicated.

Thanks. I do appreciate and understand that comment.

My thought was to pass on self-help information before escalating it to a professional.

Of course, if self-help doesn't cut the mustard then professional guidance would definitely be the next step.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:59:32 PM by jpcher »

Octavia

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 07:53:16 PM »
Do a search for "progressive muscle relaxation" on Youtube. I found this to work well for me, sometimes even putting me to sleep before the video is finished.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »
Cut way back on caffeine.
Cut back on sugar.
Eat more protein and complex carbs, less simple carbs.
Drink a lot water.
SLEEP.
The relaxation response - http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
Feeling overwhelmed or that things aren't under control is my big anxiety trigger so I make lists. Organizing everything into little packets of "I can handle this" really works for me.

DH is up for another work-related move so I've been at it hard  ;D. I've got lists of info for the places we may end up, lists of things we need to pack for the short-term traveling and the long-term temporary stay before our housing is settled, lists for what I need to do at the several weeks, one week, 3 days, day before and day after marks (with regard to when the movers come), lists for potential travel routes and itineraries, you name it I've probably got it on a list. DH giggles at me but my lists have made the difference between "Oh no, here comes the insomnia!" and "This is going to be such a fun adventure, I can't wait!"  ;)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 11:16:38 PM »

Thanks. I do appreciate and understand that comment.

My thought was to pass on self-help information before escalating it to a professional.

Of course, if self-help doesn't cut the mustard then professional guidance would definitely be the next step.
It sounds like you are asking so you can pass on the advise to someone else.  I would agree with getting professional help.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 12:27:23 AM »
All of the above advice is brilliant.  I would add journalling out the anxious thoughts. Exercise and meditation as others have suggested.  A hobby and also getting out the house activities (if possible).
Finally, when someone is anxious about something - make them follow the thought through.  For example "My boyfriend is going to leave me" - follow that through with why, what they would do, actions they would take etc.  It helps take the unknown quantity away and make things feel more controllable.

Miss Marple

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 03:54:07 AM »
My technique I learnt years ago from a Dale Carnegie book, I hope it is not preachy, but I thought I would share it as it worked for me and I was a compulsive worry wart. Even now there are times I get into a spiral of worrying and when I do I channel this technique: 

1) Write down what is worrying you,
2) Write down the worst that can happen,
3) Think about what your options are, if the worst happens. Usually they are a few  options or none. If there are options which one will I do if my anxiety comes true? If there are no options then accept it is out of my control (I hope this is not trite I do not ean it to be),
4) Put the sheet of paper that you have wrote your worry on into a safe place and create a new sheet every time you have a worry,
5) 3 - 12 months later pull out the sheet of paper with what was worrying you today and you will find most things you were worrying about did not happen. Secondly those things that did happen you got through them.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 06:26:01 AM »
ummm.... scrabble?

OK, if you are talking about *normative*, occasional anxiety, when you are worried about something,  or a few somethings, or a big something that seems to take over your life (like money related, or children related), then this is what works for me:
1. i notice that when i am worried/anxious/stressed, i tend to crave the worst foods (lots of sweet/carbs), so i stop and reasses what i'm eating. if i can't spend the time making healthy foods for myself, then at least i'll buy more of the salads and low-fat proteins, and stock up on fruit.

2. up my exercise and make sure to get a good weight lifting session in at least every other day. I find that if I keep up with regular exercise, i sleep better at night, which makes me less cranky during the day.

3. I go all Scarlett O'hara - "I'll think about it tomorrow". Seriously - write things down and then put the list aside. sometimes it helps.

4. ask for help if you need it. I have a tendency to do things on my own. Sometimes it's important to ask for help - it makes life less stressful

and all the other great advice given here.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »
When I'm anxious, I'm usually worrying about some outcome yet to come-therefore, it's out of my control. 

I ask myself, "Have I done the Very Best I could about x situation?" 

Then I ask, "I can't control the future.  What can I control?"  Usually this means my environment.  I fill the time with useful but not to complex tasks-is the laundry clean?  Can I push the vacuum around?  What about the kitchen?  What's for dinner?, etc.  I tell myself I can face anything better with a clean environment.

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »
Honestly?  Weather permitting, I go out in the back yard and kill something.  Most of the time, it's weeds, either pulling big ones or digging up a bed.  It may involve herbicides or pesticides.  On rare occasions, I pull out the chainsaw and go after some bush or sapling that's been annoying me.  The physical work burns off some nervousness, and it gives me a chance to think, listen to the birds, watch squirrels, see what's growing.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
I 2nd the suggestions to follow the worry through. I'm another one who will "What if?" myself to insanity. It absolutely helps to acknowledge the worry and have a plan. "We'll, if that happens then I will..." Even if it's "If we both lose our incomes then we will pack up and move in with our parents." Do I want to move back home? No. Does knowing I won't end up homeless relieve 90% of the stress? It does!

So, for me, list for what I can control and worst-case scenario contingency plans for what I can't!!  :)

Tea Drinker

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
Making plans to the extent I can, even on unrelated things, because if I'm dealing with uncertainty in one area ("will I get this job, or at least an interview?"), it helps to have certainty somewhere else. I more or less flipped a coin recently on whether to visit some friends the weekend of the 18th or of the 25th (the invitation was "come in mid- to late January"), got their okay on the choice, and went ahead and bought my ticket, not because one weekend was better, just to have something definite.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.