Author Topic: How many earrings should I wear to a job interview?  (Read 6039 times)

that_one_girl

How many earrings should I wear to a job interview?
« on: January 12, 2013, 08:18:56 PM »
I have two holes in each earlobe, so I have the capability of wearing 4 earrings at once.   How many should I wear to my job interview on Monday?

I already know not to wear anything too flashy or dangly. 
The earrings I am planning to wear in my first holes are copper hoops about the size of a quarter.
If I did wear anything in my second holes, it would be a simple stud that matched my outfit. 

If it helps, I live in Amish country and the people around here tend to be conservative, church-going, law-abiding citizens.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: How many earrings should I wear to a job interview?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »
I'd stick to two if you're unsure. You can always go up to four later, if your job's culture is OK with it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

m2kbug

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:48:18 PM »
I wouldn't go more than two.  To be on the safe side, one.  It would depend on the job culture and location. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »
If the area is very conservative, quarter sized hoops sound a little big to me, even though they are plain.  If you have smaller hoops you could wear, I think that would be better.  Dime sized would be best, if you have them.

If you do have smaller hoops, I think plain studs in the second holes would be fine but if you only have the larger hoops, I wouldn't wear the studs.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »
One earring in each ear.  Then, if you get the job, you can suss out the culture and go from there.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »
I would wear one stud in each ear for the interview.  If you get the job you can get more of a feel for the workplace and decide about hoops, double piercings.  In general I would say tone down the jewelry for an interview because you want the focus on what you've said.

that_one_girl

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
Maybe I will wear none at all ... haha ... can't go wrong there?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
an even number with a maximum of two  ;)

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
Maybe I will wear none at all ... haha ... can't go wrong there?

That's what I was going to suggest.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »
will your 2nd holes close up if you don't wear earrings on a regular basis?  If so then I think that wearing a tiny little stud that is not too noticeable would work in your second holes.

NyaChan

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:39:19 PM »
Two earrings, studs would be the safest.  Then you can reevaluate once you get a feel for the culture at work.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 03:33:37 AM »
Two earrings, studs would be the safest.  Then you can reevaluate once you get a feel for the culture at work.
this. matching studs, something classic and understated (gold balls, diamond studs, pearl)

and good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

YummyMummy66

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
I think it depends on the type of earrings you might wear.  I have had two holes in my earlobes for years and I have never had any problems. 

I usually will wear a small earring in the second lobe, which is higher up, (thinka small gold ball or a small gem of some color) and then I like to wear hoops in the lower lobe, but I don't wear anything too big.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »
I'm probably not the one to answer this, as I once hired someone with purple hair and goth makeup, in a fairly conservative company. But she was definitely the right person for the job and was a fantastic employee.

My take, after having done a fair bit of interviewing and hiring, is that a job candidate should be clean and neat and appropriately dressed. I would only notice earrings if they stood out from the rest of the outfit or were so over the top that they couldn't be missed.

What type of company will you be interviewing with? For Hot Topics, say, four earrings would be a bonus, for example. For a bank, I'd go with simple stud earrings, one per ear.

And I don't think you have to stick with stud earrings, if you don't want to. It can be nice to see a tiny bit of a candidate's personality in their choice of accessories. If the copper hoops work with the rest of your outfit, i.e., they blend in instead of sticking out, I don't see why you can't wear them. If you are going to be wearing a navy blue skirt suit with pantyhose and heels, then maybe you need the little pearl studs. But if you are wearing a more business casual outfit, then hoops aren't inappropriate.

I've interviewed over 100 people. There are only two candidates who stand out because of what they wore. The young woman in the wrinkled, faded brown knit skirt and faded black knit top which kept showing her grungy bra straps, with uncombed hair with a scraggly part in it--she just looked like she didn't care about herself or anything else. (Her resume which showed 13 jobs in 2 years didn't help, either.) Remove the wrinkles and comb the hair, at least. I won't fault someone who can't afford better clothes, but they should be clean and neat at the very least. And undergarments should be concealed.

And the woman who showed up in a brightly colored floral sundress, with a tiny, pretty little handbag, strappy, high heeled sandals and her resume in a manila envelope--she was dressed for a garden party, not work. It wasn't a bad outfit, but it did not send any signals that she knew how to dress for an office. The manila envelope by itself wasn't an issue, but combined with all the other signs, it didn't read, "I'm here and I'm ready to work."
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

deadbody

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »
As a guy my viewpoint is a bit different.  My ears are guaged out to a half inch.  And I always wore all my piercings to interviews (used it have multiples in easy lobe and cartilidge).  I figured if my appearance would preclude me from the job then I didn't want the job.

FYI I am a state tax auditor so pretty conservative.  I don't think 2 understated earrings in each lobe will even be noticed.