Author Topic: How many earrings should I wear to a job interview?  (Read 5446 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: How many earrings should I wear to a job interview?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »
The fact that I worked in an art museum may have had something to do with it but two piercings in each ear wouldn't have been seen as a problem.  Heck, we had a guy with a nose ring that made him look like a prize bull.   ;D

Around here, it's very common to see women in their 50s and 60s with several piercings in each ear.  Small hoops and a modest stud wouldn't even catch anybody's eye.

Of course, it all depends on where you live and the nature of the job.  For an interview, the conservative route is never the wrong way to go. 

Snooks

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »
I've got two holes in each lobe and one in the top of my left ear.  I wear simple hoops in all of them, including to interviews.  Partly because I very rarely take them out so I tend to forget about them and partly because I think having an empty hole is more eye catching than having a small stud or hoop.

ettiquit

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
As a guy my viewpoint is a bit different.  My ears are guaged out to a half inch.  And I always wore all my piercings to interviews (used it have multiples in easy lobe and cartilidge).  I figured if my appearance would preclude me from the job then I didn't want the job.

FYI I am a state tax auditor so pretty conservative.  I don't think 2 understated earrings in each lobe will even be noticed.

Good point.  You can't really un-guage your ears for an interview.

I have 4 non-lobe ear piercings, and I would never take them out for anything but an MRI (where I have no choice).  WAY too much hassle to get them out and put back in.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »
Studs or nothing if it is as conservative as you say it is.  I have four holes, too.  Two on the lobe and two farther up.  I would wear in the lobe, if at all.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

kglory

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »
To me, small hoops are classic and conservative.  So the replies here are interesting because people seem to think otherwise.

I agree with wearing only 1 pair of earrings to a job interview.

that_one_girl

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
I'm not sure how conservative the company I am interviewing with is.  It is a home health care company whose main office is in a larger city than the one I live in (which is in Amish country).  I've been successful in a couple of other interviews I've had in the area, but those were for food-service positions and it didn't really matter if I got the job or not.  This is the first interview where I really want to get the job because it will look good on my Resume when I graduate and apply for RN jobs. 

I think that I will just leave off the jewelry this time.  I can always figure out what kind of earrings they accept after getting the job.   
I plan to wear black dressy boots, grey pants, a navy blouse, and a navy cardigan (if it is cold).  I will pin back my hair with bobby pins and do some light makeup in natural tones. 

I'm from California originally, so to me hoops the size of a quarter would be conservative compared to what normally is worn :)

greencat

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »
In general, unless you know the culture of the corporation tends to run in a (casual, edgy, artsy, whatever) direction that encourages more freedom of expression in the realm of personal appearance, your interview clothes should be on par with what non-uniformed management (as close to the level you're interviewing for as possible) wears on a daily basis and fairly conservative.  See if you can't find company photos showing what people wear or visit a similar business to scope out the typical attire for the industry.

I have an excellent success record interviewing while dressed based on that formula.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 07:58:23 PM »

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
I'd put studs in the top holes and smaller earrings in bottom holes.  However, I don't like to leave top holes empty b/c for years that caused issues.

Seiryuu

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »
I'd try to not wear piercings that attracted more attention to themselves than to your face. Studs or small hoops (small) are best. As for your higher holes, are they small when you don't pierce them?

TaurusGirl

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 11:29:34 PM »
I'm finding this fascinating; I have two holes in each ear, both on the lobes, and I wear silver hoops (one pair dime-sized, one pair slightly larger) at all times. Without exaggeration, I am completely shocked that anyone, anywhere, would consider that to be "too much". I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I am just literally amazed.

Honestly if I went to an interview anywhere, even in a conservative community, and was told that my earrings were too bold, I would laugh my way out the door.

All that being said, I would think that as previous posters mentioned, as long as the earrings were subtle and go with your outfit, wearing 4 would be fine. :)

Margo

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »
I agree with Greencat's suggestion about how to dress. I think small earrings in all 4 holes would be OK, but if you are doubtful (after all, you know where you have applied!) leave the upper ones empty and wear small earrings in the lobes.

So far as hoops are concerned - I would not see larger hoops as being over the top, but I tend not to associate them (especially if they are more than about 1/2" in diameter) with professional women. So as an employer, if you came to an interview wearing large hoops my first impression wouldn't be as good as if you were wearing something smaller, or more discrete. Where I live (In the UK, in a fairly rural, small-c conservative area) large hoops are not common office-wear, so if someone turned up for an interview for an office -based job the 1st impression would be slightly 'off'.

It wouldn't stop you getting the job if you were the best candidate, but there would be that subtle, slightly negative 1st impression. 

In terms of work place, if you were interviewing for a job as a bartender or similar it wouldn't have the same effect.

MissRose

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »
When I interviewed for the job I have now, I wore very small earrings in my ears as I have 2 piercings in each ear that would not be very noticeable.  I am sure even if I wore something slightly larger in my ears I would have been fine as when the interviewer was showing me around, many people had multiple piercings of various sizes (both genders).  Once I was hired in, I noticed it was a more laid back work place, and many people had tattoos visible on arms as an example, many with multiple piercings, unusual dyed hair colors and/or unique hair cuts.  Keep in mind our work place does support via email and phone, so the customer contacting us has no idea how we are dressed in terms of clothing & accessories etc.

When I interviewed with the place I worked my first full time job, the place was very conservative then the dress code was relaxed around the time I was actually hired to start working a few weeks after I accepted the offer.  I wore small pearl earrings or small studs that were gold or silver, with a small pearl necklace with a conservative hair style, makeup and navy blue suit with a white blouse for the 2 interviews I had prior to the official offer of work. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:34 AM »
Even in Amish country, I think small hoops are OK.  A little something can make you stand out and let them remember you.  But if you have any concerns, go conservative.  It's great for those who have options, but many people just need a job (any job) and the interview is where you make your impression since most resumes on paper might be similar.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
I don't think you need to go without earrings completely.  Small, tasteful earrings are a nice finishing touch to your outfit.  They make you look polished, IMO. 

I'd go with something traditional, like gold or silver hoops, or pearl studs.