A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

New cat yowled all night...any ideas?

(1/7) > >>

Shea:
Long-time cat owners of Ehell, I need your help! Yesterday I adopted a cat from the SPCA, after much thought and preparation. He was shy at first, hiding in the bathroom, but by nighttime he was slowly creeping out to see us. However, as soon as we turned off the lights, he started yowling, and I mean YOWLING. He kept it up quite literally all night. BF and I could not sleep all night. We finally gave up trying at 5:00. He yowls much less when we're paying attention to him (he doesn't let us pick him up or pet him unless he comes up to us, which I think is normal at this stage). Right now he's not meowing, but I don't know what to do about another night like last night. Has anyone else had this experience when adopting a shelter cat? He's an adult cat, about 3 years old, been at the shelter for awhile but was also fostered for a time, and he's deaf, which may or may not be relevant. Any wisdom would be much appreciated!

And sorry if this isn't entirely coherent, I'm quite tired ::).

camlan:
My very first cat avoided me for a week, but at night she'd yowl unless I got up and sat in the living room with her. It was exhausting. We'd sit at opposite ends of the sofa, with her ignoring me completely. But if I tried to go to bed, she'd start crying again.

Since this cat is deaf, I wonder if he panics in the dark, because he can't see and can't hear and is in a new place? The first thing I'd try is leaving some nightlights on in a couple of places, so that he can see what's going on around him.

I'd also call the shelter and ask if they noticed this behavior and what they did about it. The foster people might also have some advice.

The key thing is to figure out if it's the dark that's bothering him, or something else.

MorgnsGrl:

--- Quote from: camlan on January 13, 2013, 07:34:20 AM ---Since this cat is deaf, I wonder if he panics in the dark, because he can't see and can't hear and is in a new place? The first thing I'd try is leaving some nightlights on in a couple of places, so that he can see what's going on around him.

I'd also call the shelter and ask if they noticed this behavior and what they did about it. The foster people might also have some advice.

The key thing is to figure out if it's the dark that's bothering him, or something else.

--- End quote ---

I agree with all of this! Definitely see if you can talk to the person/people who fostered him -- in my experience they will be very happy to tell you about him and help you figure out what's going on.

Steve:
Cats have exellent night vision, so the dark should not be a problem. I have only seen yawling in a cat that needed company. Maybe she can sleep in your room?

TomatoBunny:
Can we safely assume he's been neutered since he was at a shelter for awhile?

When you go to bed, is your door closed and your cat is all alone? When my mom brought home a 6 month old kitten, he cried in the middle of the house after we all went to bed. I think he was upset/scared that he was all alone because when I opened my door to see what the deal was, he came running up to me for clingy cuddles. When my parents left their bedroom door open the following night, he visited them in their bed and then left them alone, seemingly content to simply know where people were. So it might just be new home jitters.

Hope you can figure out your new cat soon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version